Illinois...

I soak the feed and put out in a 2 gallon bucket before 8.... and swap it out in the afternoon. The center stays soft and the edges freeze a couple inches.
Yesterday at 11am I brought out water. 3 coops one bird in each drank right away, an other 2 drank. Brought out water in the afternoon and at lockup 2 birds were filling up and I had to wait for them before I took the waterer in.

It is ridiculous out there!! I put out hot water just before 7am (when the door opens) and when back out to clean, give treats and add more hot water around 8am and the water was already slushy!!! Just gave Ginger a bath and I am headed back outside to defrost the water again. If my boss sees this, I swear I am working at some point.

My house chicken is seriously the dirtiest bird in the flock. Girlfriend had so much dried on gunk it's no wonder her feathers couldn't do their job to keep her warm. I got out what I could with some Dawn and gentle pressure but she'd going to have to learn how to chicken at some point. The others bathe and preen every day. She only likes to bathe in the garden. The bath in the coop is apparently lava.
Hot water freezes faster then cold water. I collect water dishes at night and put them in the garage warm but not hot in there. I put them out first thing in the morning cold water top up mid day if I can.

Hot water freezes faster then cold water. I collect water dishes at night and put them in the garage warm but not hot in there. I put them out first thing in the morning cold water top up mid day if I can.
Yeah the water molecules are farther apart the warmer the water. So the space between the molecules cools quicker.

I have several sets of waterers and bring them into the walkout basement to thaw. I used to use bowls for water but the roos would get their waddles wet and frostbitten. Everything is brought in at night if below freezing.

Yeah the water molecules are farther apart the warmer the water. So the space between the molecules cools quicker.

I have several sets of waterers and bring them into the walkout basement to thaw. I used to use bowls for water but the roos would get their waddles wet and frostbitten. Everything is brought in at night if below freezing.
I worried about their wattles too but I have females and it seems they don't have a problem. I use old ice cream buckets. I buy neighbors (with kids) ice cream so I can get the buckets for odd jobs and winter watering.

Yes, I know hot water freezes faster but cold water won't thaw the ice. I'm not worried about how fast it freezes because it's going to freeze in under 2 hours no matter what on a day like today. The hot just helps break up any ice already formed.

Is she better yet??? Can we eat her now???

1643231758294.png

Oh, did mom say we can eat her now??

1643231773554.png

Don't make me come over there!!!

1643231793946.png

Dang it! Sasha is never going to let us eat her. Boo!

1643231822394.png

It is ridiculous out there!! I put out hot water just before 7am (when the door opens) and when back out to clean, give treats and add more hot water around 8am and the water was already slushy!!! Just gave Ginger a bath and I am headed back outside to defrost the water again. If my boss sees this, I swear I am working at some point.

My house chicken is seriously the dirtiest bird in the flock. Girlfriend had so much dried on gunk it's no wonder her feathers couldn't do their job to keep her warm. I got out what I could with some Dawn and gentle pressure but she'd going to have to learn how to chicken at some point. The others bathe and preen every day. She only likes to bathe in the garden. The bath in the coop is apparently lava.
This is why I have a heated waterer and the birdbath deicer in the duck pool.

Hi everyone, just wondering what towns you're all in and what your thoughts are on keeping 3-4 "stealth" hens in the Chicago suburbs, Mokena, where they are not be permitted.

Has anyone here had success changing their local laws and ordinances? It seems to be a slow process but I'd be interested to get it started if there's a chance it'll work...

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom