Illinois...

My Friend and her singing turkey.
IMG_5043.jpg

Helped @homeschoolin momma get ready for Thanksgiving - about 11lbs when all done. An interesting part was hearing the carcass sing during processing.

I enjoy my crafts, so I decided to wrap some wild grapevine (weeds) into a wreath and add some turkey feathers. A pretty memorial to honor Mr Turkey.
IMG_5045 (2).jpg

And of course, we had some puppy time.
IMG_5039.jpg

My Friend and her singing turkey.
View attachment 3328488

Helped @homeschoolin momma get ready for Thanksgiving - about 11lbs when all done. An interesting part was hearing the carcass sing during processing.

I enjoy my crafts, so I decided to wrap some wild grapevine (weeds) into a wreath and add some turkey feathers. A pretty memorial to honor Mr Turkey.
View attachment 3328479

And of course, we had some puppy time.View attachment 3328487
I'm still chuckling over my singing turkey!

It's cute you kept her name. Does she have her mama's long legs? Does she still fly up to you? How is Stones? She's sweet too but liked to go broody.
Oops and Stone like to hang together. Sesame and my previous Bantam Savanah (from you) also like to hang together. Somewhat difficult to tell them apart,, but I can when I look closer. Snow sometimes hangs solo, and other times, joins the crowd.
Oops is slightly lower in altitude than Stone,, but not by much. Qualifies for Paris Runway Model :highfive:
None of them fly up to me. but do gather when I come with feed to refill the containers.:thumbsup

Hey all! It's been a while...

Bad news today. :( My neighbor knocked on my door because a chicken was in his yard. His dogs were trying to get at it and cornered her between the corner of three fence, some weeds and a wheelbarrow. She is missing feathers and has for small/medium puncture wounds. That wasn't bad enough though... DW went to check on the coop and see how she got out and came vack in saying, "there's a possum in the coop". I grabbed the pellet gun but couldn't find the pellets. It had one in the cartridge so I figured it was better than nothing. We went back to the coop together to find there was TWO adult possums in the coop. The climbed on the bird netting and over the run and it ripped, dropping then into the run and they likely followed the chickens right into the coop. They mauled at least one hen. Another is missing if not already consumed fully. A-hole (our Marans and top hen) survived up on the roost and three only either survivors are the injured chicken from my neighbor's yard and a turkey hen. There was feathers and blood asking with a half eaten carcas of one of DS's favorite chickens - it was ugly. I was upset and mad! It doesn't make up for it losses but those possums are nearly ashes now after being dispatched and loaded into the firepit to be disposed of.

Now I need to hope that the turkey is good with a chicken roommate in the coop (turkey always sleeps outside but can't until I fix the netting because she'll fly over the fence). There's also the hope that our injured girl survives and then that just two hens can make it through the winter since we only had 4 hens lately.

:hit:hit:hit

Bad news today. :( My neighbor knocked on my door because a chicken was in his yard. His dogs were trying to get at it and cornered her between the corner of three fence, some weeds and a wheelbarrow. She is missing feathers and has for small/medium puncture wounds. That wasn't bad enough though... DW went to check on the coop and see how she got out and came vack in saying, "there's a possum in the coop". I grabbed the pellet gun but couldn't find the pellets. It had one in the cartridge so I figured it was better than nothing. We went back to the coop together to find there was TWO adult possums in the coop. The climbed on the bird netting and over the run and it ripped, dropping then into the run and they likely followed the chickens right into the coop. They mauled at least one hen. Another is missing if not already consumed fully. A-hole (our Marans and top hen) survived up on the roost and three only either survivors are the injured chicken from my neighbor's yard and a turkey hen. There was feathers and blood asking with a half eaten carcas of one of DS's favorite chickens - it was ugly. I was upset and mad! It doesn't make up for it losses but those possums are nearly ashes now after being dispatched and loaded into the firepit to be disposed of.

Now I need to hope that the turkey is good with a chicken roommate in the coop (turkey always sleeps outside but can't until I fix the netting because she'll fly over the fence). There's also the hope that our injured girl survives and then that just two hens can make it through the winter since we only had 4 hens lately.

:hugs :hit
So sorry for your losses
I've lost birds to oppossum too
Might put wire up instead of net. I had a small one lb oppossum take a small chick from under 2 co Brodies. Only ate a leg .

So sorry to hear this. Predators stink. If you would like, I have a couple of older hens that are still laying you could have. My coop is quite crowded. I think they are 3 and a half years old. They are from @Faraday40 line. A chocolate named "mama" a lavender named "honey".

Back
Top Bottom