Illinois...

Trouble saves the Day!

This morning as we were cleaning the coop & the hens were out scratching around, Trouble started freaking out and making warning calls. The chickens took cover and even the squirrels froze and looked around. As I stepped out of the coop, a hawk swooped across the yard and landed about 20' away. I scared it off and counted the birds. Everyone made it to the inner coop.

Because there's no tree cover, I keep the chickens locked up - except for a few min each day when we're cleaning. That hawk was so brazen.

Of course tiny Trouble is the queen and protector of the flock.
:love
View attachment 3334566View attachment 3334565

Trouble is also a stubborn & fearless mama. She cares for her chicks long after they bigger than her.

View attachment 3334562
View attachment 3334575
Good girl

Trouble saves the Day!

This morning as we were cleaning the coop & the hens were out scratching around, Trouble started freaking out and making warning calls. The chickens took cover and even the squirrels froze and looked around. As I stepped out of the coop, a hawk swooped across the yard and landed about 20' away. I scared it off and counted the birds. Everyone made it to the inner coop.

Because there's no tree cover, I keep the chickens locked up - except for a few min each day when we're cleaning. That hawk was so brazen.

Of course tiny Trouble is the queen and protector of the flock.
:love
View attachment 3334566View attachment 3334565

Trouble is also a stubborn & fearless mama. She cares for her chicks long after they bigger than her.

View attachment 3334562
View attachment 3334575
Aaaawww I love it!!!

We have to same problem. No tree coverage. We are working on that but not it’s going to take a while for what we planted last year to take off and be of use. We keep ours in the run as well. We made sure they had plenty of room and try to get them out when I can. It’s not often because it always seems like hawks are hanging out watching and waiting.

@homeschoolin momma made the day for DS and DD. DS commented that "today was perfect". Not only did we get some chickens to repopulate our flock, but the kids got to play with puppies - I think DW enjoyed the puppies too.
I think your DW fell in love with little Bella....

I hope your DD won't be too scarred by my stupid rooster. I felt so bad for her!😥

SnootyHen

Do you have possibility to run an extension cord to the coop/run???

I have 2 of these going now.
View attachment 3334057
One for the chickens, and one in the side yard for the squirrels, and cats.
When it is warm, the thermostat turns it off.
Have been using same ones for many winters now. Nothing lasts for ever,,, but these have served me well. :thumbsup

I worry about an extension cord because of my crazy dogs. They tear through the yard like Nascar on crack and would easily rip it out of the plug and take everything with it. 😂

I worry about an extension cord because of my crazy dogs. They tear through the yard like Nascar on crack and would easily rip it out of the plug and take everything with it. 😂
Just got this brainstorm,, as a solution. Not sure the distance from house to coop,, but if not too far,,, try this. Get 1 inch PVC pipes. Run your extension cord inside the pipe. Then just push the pipes together, without gluing them. At the end of winter, take pipes apart . PVC comes in 10 foot lengths. The couplings will hold well enough, and you may choose to slap a piece of Duck Tape if needed.
Your doggies will not take off with a pipe laying on the ground. :idunno

Just got this brainstorm,, as a solution. Not sure the distance from house to coop,, but if not too far,,, try this. Get 1 inch PVC pipes. Run your extension cord inside the pipe. Then just push the pipes together, without gluing them. At the end of winter, take pipes apart . PVC comes in 10 foot lengths. The couplings will hold well enough, and you may choose to slap a piece of Duck Tape if needed.
Your doggies will not take off with a pipe laying on the ground. :idunno

It's about 30 or 40 feet from the nearest outlet. That would probably work once there is snow covering it but I worry they'd still trip over it and rip it out before then. Also, do the chickens bother it once it's in the run?

It's about 30 or 40 feet from the nearest outlet. That would probably work once there is snow covering it but I worry they'd still trip over it and rip it out before then. Also, do the chickens bother it once it's in the run?
Another option is to hang the extension cord like a clothesline. :idunno

Another option is to hang the extension cord like a clothesline. :idunno

That's not a bad idea! Need to find poles to hang it. Or I can re-purpose my garden frames. I sunk PVC in bucks of concrete to hold up a frame for tomatoes and since I won't need that again until spring, it could do double duty. Just need to buy some top pieces to hold the cord but it could for sure work! Thanks!!

This was a new project this past summer:

1670101440060.png

1670101487715.png

1670101720915.png

1670101798976.png

Back
Top Bottom