Illinois...

Very, very well!

In the poultry barn:
My son got class champ for both his white and his brown eggs. The brown eggs ended up getting grand champion.

He also got the big honor of Jr Showmanship. My daughter got reserve for Senior showmanship.

All 5 of our bantams got class champions..... then competed against each other for Best in Show. Our past Grand Champ Silkie hen (MaiMai) got Reserve Champ, and the big winner of DuPage County was our new Grand Champ Serama (Miss Take).

The name is because I didn't want any more little, "useless chickens." I kept removing eggs from my bantam hen but she must have hidden one too well. I found it- after development started. I needed the hen to stay broody for my quail hatch, so I moved the egg to the incubator. One lonely only, human-raised chick lived in the house for 6 days until her quail "siblings" hatched. Quail grew and at 4-5 weeks old, my "mistake" was moved to a brooder with new, large fowl chicks. Poor chick must have had an identity crisis. She still hangs with that group of pullets. Although pronounced the same my "mistake" is now a pullet and called "Miss Take."

A big hit was our ugly cockerel (Dr Seuss) Everyone came to the poultry barn to see the rare Showgirl Frizzle and took so many selfie photos. Crowds gathered to hear him crow or watch us as we took him from the cage. My hope was to sell him but only impulsive "I gotta have him" people were interested. I can't knowingly send him to a home with an unknown level of care. Waiting for a good fit.

Our section of cages was full of all sorts of ribbons. We even entered a last min animal costume contest. We found out about it and had less than 10 min to come up with costumes. MaiMai wore DD's bracelets as necklaces and was sporting a big 1980s ponytail - crest. Someone left McDs garbage on the ground overnight. We threw it out but took the fries box. I put little Miss Take in the box and called her a Chicken McNugget. Obviously we weren't in it to win, but had a good laugh and got a couple "special event" ribbons.

In the general projects:
The kids also did well. Both kids won multiple grand champion and reserve champion ribbons and had to decide which project to bring to state. DD will bring her beautiful, delicate, paper quilling. She made the 4 seasons. DS will bring his computer science project. He designed and coded an original video game called "Pecking Order." Yup. The main character ( a Spitzhauben) must work its way past the big but slow-moving lavender Orpington, the plentiful Seramas, an old Easter Egger, and ultimately fight the big boss: a Sebright. To learn how to battle, a Silkie leads the tutorial. DS drew each character - obviously based on our own flock. The attacks are pecking (like hitting) and throwing eggs (like bombs that splat) When an enemy is killed it turns into a chicken dinner. As his mom, I'm pretty biased, but I think it's an awesome video game.

I will try to get photos posted, but after such a long busy weekend, I'm exhausted. I can barely get through my day job.

We will be at the state fair Aug 11th.
Wow you guys did great 👍

Here are DS's general projects:
IMG_1897 (2).JPG

Some of my favs:
This is what he did with all those cherry pits we got in June.
cherry1.jpg

IMG_1854 (2).JPG

This was his drawing. He made his Spitzhauben "Poot" colorful by masking and splatter painting. Then covered up the mistakes with blue chalk.
IMG_1888.JPG

Here are some paper quilled chickens. (Made by coiling thin strips of colored paper.)
IMG_1856.JPG

Those of you who have tasted my herb bread recipe will see that DS received reserve champ for his loaf. Our naughty dog wasted no time and ate the whole thing as we were unloading the car Sunday night. :lau
bread.jpg

For Vet Science he talked about how to keep chicken feed and water clean. He made several different types of feeders and waters using plastic containers from the recycle bin. "Poultry Prototypes" (I kind of wished he would bring this project to state. So many people were taking photos of his ideas.)
IMG_1851 (2).JPG

But of course his video game is a lot of fun, and computers are his big passion.
IMG_1891.JPG

Last edited:
I'm in central Illinois...Decatur to be exact!

I have Amercuana bantams (they are out of show/breeder quality lines) in black, white, blue and pencilled buffs and Black, Blue Salmon and Salmon Faverolle Bantams.

Chicks, started chicks and adults are offered for sale occasionally.
Decatur is about 2 hours away from Lacon, do you by any chance know if Lacon allows ducks?
~Veneki

Decatur is about 2 hours away from Lacon, do you by any chance know if Lacon allows ducks?
~Veneki
EweSheep has not been very active here for some time.
Let me answer your question.
It all depends which area of Lacon you are in. I was reading on their website, and it is somewhat complex. Easiest way to find out,,,,, call city hall and specify your address.
image_2023-08-07_004739535.png

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome and the Illinois thread

EweSheep has not been very active here for some time.
Let me answer your question.
It all depends which area of Lacon you are in. I was reading on their website, and it is somewhat complex. Easiest way to find out,,,,, call city hall and specify your address.
View attachment 3601845

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome and the Illinois thread
Thank you! I will have to call the city hall and figure that out, so far that is where all of my research keeps putting me at.
~Veneki

Back
Top Bottom