Illinois...

Put my chickens into winter housing.. It will be getting quite cold in coming days,, so it was time. I have 6 banties, and 1 LF..
This is the latest that I kept chickens in outdoor coop. As long as daytime temps were above freezing , nighttime temps were fine jus a little below freezing .
My usual timing before ,,, was mid December,, and as early as beginning of December in previous years.
When it gets mity chilly,,, I fire up the wood stove in garage. Not very warm,,, just enough to be above freezing. My feral rescue cats sleep there also. Their water supply is in heated containers, so always liquid. I just make sure their feed bowls are not empty.
They have 12+ hours of light on a timer. Life is good for me and the chickens. :thumbsup
No more ,,,, making sure I lock up the coop at dusk. and let them out, and place feed and water in run area in the morning,,,, Well,,,,, until about March, when they will roam the outdoors.

let it snow.JPG

Hi team long time no speak! I've had a busy life, been on and off lurking. Glad to catch up on all the friendly posts here, looking forward to Spring and everything that comes with it. I did manage to hatch out a Singleton on the 26th, I quickly got another batch going hoping I'd hatch out some friends but a power outage took that idea. I'm throwing in the towel and waiting for warmer weather to do more incubating.

Back
Top Bottom