Illinois...

I took some time to look at the codes........

I do not see anywhere that you are not allowed to have chickens. However there are restrictions on how poultry is being dealt with in the food industry, cockfighting and dyeing baby chicks....so nope, it does not say anywhere. You have to read the fine lines too and sometimes they like to twist the language around that it would be vague for citizens to read it.

I think Hanover Park has a NO CHICKEN policy. That is the only one I know of.

If the city officials say no you can not have chickens, stand up to them and say send me the copy of the ordiance that SAYS no poultry allowed. Many times, the clerk does not know or can read some of the ordiances, like mine here in Decatur, which I told the clerk to send me an ordiance hwoever there was a clause, a keyword....."Poultry are prohibited UNLESS (keyword) the neighbor's living residence is more than 75 feet away and blah, blah blah. So the tables were turned on them LOL and I even called the animal control which he said it was not a problem at all, just don't get roosters LOL! So I only have roosters in the winter months. No where in the ordiance it says you can have roosters but it would certainly go under the noise pollution such as barking dogs....

Quote:
Hello, I am in a Chicago suburb, St. Charles (far west). My city code wording goes like this "...except for birds and fish...". Our city's code inforcement officer is one of those rare people who can recall word for word what the codes say. He is a legal terminology whiz. He even knows where the comma and capital letters belong, legally. LWe invited him over to check our property for code fulfillment as we improved the lot to include our chickens, and he gave his approval, stating he knew of chickens in St. Charles for years. (But I always wondered about the fish part? Do people raise walleyes or something? Maybe koi ponds?)

So those 5 little words and his approval make chickens legally within code in St. Charles. I wonder if Chicago has similar words? Also, Chicago is divided into aldermens' wards, perhaps there are codes for each.

BRRRRRRR!!!

We lost power about midnight last night,wire burned off at the transformer again. Even though it is manual, I LOVE our stinky gas generator! Eggs in the bator got down to 80 before we got the power back on so hopefully they will still hatch.
fl.gif

So windy here, hubby has to get back out and clear the driveway again so we can run to town. Love winter and construction in Illinois.
duc.gif

Quote:
fl.gif
. Good luck with your eggs! What do you have in the bator?

Yikes power outage in the cold?! That sucks! I woke up this morning and it was 14 degrees outside.
hmm.png
. My chickens weren't happy.

Cooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllldddddddddddddddddddd! Brrrrrrrrr!

Water bucket frozen and the chickens got their bread treats. Will fix them some pasta spagetti tonight so they have something to eat warm.

Have a few cochin eggs in the bator. Would love any kind of Wyandottes, not really picky about the color at this point.

Having to start all over again...something got into the pen and coop last week and killed every chicken I had. We have a live trap set but with it so cold I am not surprised we have not caught anything yet. Whatever it was it ripped them up, especially around the chest and up then ate just a little bit of each one; we found several birds that it appeared the killer tried pulling out of the fence but was not successful. One of my BYC friends seems to think it might be a fox?

Wow, I'm sorry about all your birds
sad.png
. I hate pesky predators:mad:
maybe a raccoon or weasel too. My nieghbors were having issues a while back with raccoon. They used this poison ( disclaimer! I don't know what it is and i've never used it!) that when the animal ate it, it didn't make it 5 ft away before dropping dead
hmm.png
. Violent.... Oh well

I wish my wyandottes were laying, but they're not yet, otherwise I'd have some for ya
sad.png
. But they're a mere 3 months old. Just babies !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom