illness need help now

I thought there was a bronchitis that they can get. I know my LO rooster, Stupid Larry, had a bad case of laryngitis earlier this spring and I called it laryngitis/pharyngitis in human medicine it's one step away from bronchitis.
Infectious bronchitis is a chicken disease and can be a bad one.
Laryngotracheitis is another.
Both are viral and can't be cured with antibiotics. They either have to get well on their own or be culled.

My girl has pneumonia. Took her to the vet, and the X-rays showed double pneumonia.
she is on enroflaoxin water in a nebulizer and also 1ml twice a day.
she started wheezing pretty bad last Wednesday, and today Monday she is out
with her flock mates. Still will keep her in at night, and give meds for another week.
That should take care of it, will get another x-ray next week just to make sure.
mg
That could be treating a secondary infection from the fungal problem.

My book that lists all poultry diseases doesn't mention pneumonia. The closest it gets is aflatoxin.
Any google searches referencing chickens and pneumonia always point to fungus.
Good avian vets are as rare as hens' teeth and those with poultry experience are even harder to find.

Last edited:
Nope. Nothing that was contagious anyway. None of his flock mates got sick. Did my usual nurse's assessment of him (you can retire the nurse but you can't retire the knowledge). Listened to his lungs, both clear, air moving bilaterally with normal breath sounds. No coughing, sneezing or noisy breathing. He just lost his voice for 3 days and it came back on its own. More than likely viral in nature but strange that it only affected him. But then I've had laryngitis without any other symptom other than the lack of voice. So obviously, so can chickens.

Well, y'know, if they can get bronchitis and the bronchitis gets bad enough it rings true that it can become pneumonia, doesn't it? At least that rings true in humans, myself included. Been there done that.
I have been thinking how Almost Red would have gotten pneumonia.
Maybe her heart is not working properly and her lungs filled up with
fluid.
It has been rainy here, the others are fine.
so I don't know if was a fungus, or dust, but
the x-ray sure looked like pneumonia.
there was not black areas in her lungs, just cloudy looking.
there was a little black sliver of black, she must have been
getting some oxygen from that tiny area.
I am trying to post a video of her wheezing, last week.

Nope. Nothing that was contagious anyway. None of his flock mates got sick. Did my usual nurse's assessment of him (you can retire the nurse but you can't retire the knowledge). Listened to his lungs, both clear, air moving bilaterally with normal breath sounds. No coughing, sneezing or noisy breathing. He just lost his voice for 3 days and it came back on its own. More than likely viral in nature but strange that it only affected him. But then I've had laryngitis without any other symptom other than the lack of voice. So obviously, so can chickens.

this is Almost Red wheezing on You tube.

Last edited:
Here is my girl breathing, when I first found her like this
her beak was open.
0.jpg

Whow.

If I was describing her breathing like I would a human patient I would call those expiratory wheezes. Usually heard in infections, bronchitis, asthmatic bronchitis, and yes, pneumonia. He is also really working to move air in and out. Poor baby. Makes me want to give him a hit on my albuteral inhaler.

I bet if you listened to his lungs with a stethoscope you would hear all sorts of crackles, gurgles and wheezes.

If it was cardiac in nature, heart failure, say, I'd be looking for other symptoms.

Last edited:
Whow.

If I was describing her breathing like I would a human patient I would call those expiratory wheezes. Usually heard in infections, bronchitis, asthmatic bronchitis, and yes, pneumonia. He is also really working to move air in and out. Poor baby. Makes me want to give him a hit on my albuteral inhaler.

I bet if you listened to his lungs with a stethoscope you would hear all sorts of crackles, gurgles and wheezes.
so true about the albuteral, the first day was agony, I did not have a nebulizer. I thought she would die.
then one of the Omaha chicken talk facebook page people lent me her
nebulizer and some of the left over baytril for it. after the first nebulizer
treatment she could breathe. wasn't perfect but way better.
Well whatever it is bronchitis or penumonia or asthma she is not declining anymore. she
is getting better. and this was with anti-biotics. if I had NOT given her anything, maybe she would have
died. Maybe she would have gotten better on her own. ???? I don't think so tho. she was quite hot.
all I know is what I know.

Chicken Canoe mentioned a fungal infection and that possibility can't be dismissed entirely. You said that you have had a rainy spell. I know I'm fighting fungal infections in my apple trees right now.

I'm not exactly certain how CHF works in poultry. I'm very familiar on how it affects humans though. I don't think she would be getting better at this point if it was her heart.

Yes, I was guessing on the heart issue, how? did she get this bad.
But, when given the nebulizer treatment with baytril she improved
from the start. Her lungs on the X-ray showed cloudy lungs both.
Some black area but quite small.
I don't know if her lungs would have improved with just albuterol
and stayed clear.
altho, I still will give her enroflaoxin for another week
and then have an X-ray of her lungs.
didn't she say that anti biotic would not clear fungus.?

I'll go with the nurse and the vet. If she is going to die then it won't matter if I give antibiotics or not. My little girls name is Red also

Back
Top Bottom