illness or just old?

family thinks it’s just old age but prior to this i noticed a problem in my chickens.they all had runny eyes and began gurgling. she’s currently laying at the entrance to the coop, limp, and gurgling. she’s definately very old

i already checked her eyes as well as the eyes of the other chickens and the bubbles they had before seem to have gone away.
For video, upload to YouTube and provide a link.

How old is she?

What's her crop like?
You mention she's had bubbles in the eyes - does she have any mucous from the nostrils, coughing or sneezing?
Have you added new birds recently?

Feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid, since she's not been laying eggs, she may have a reproductive problem that is cause her to decline. Cancer, Salpingitis, EYP, etc. can be common in laying hens.

Sometimes gurgling can be due to the crop not emptying, do re-check the crop the make sure it's emptying overnight.

Work on hydration if possible, see if she will eat after she drinks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

How old is she?

What's her crop like?
You mention she's had bubbles in the eyes - does she have any mucous from the nostrils, coughing or sneezing?

Feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid, since she's not been laying eggs, she may have a reproductive problem that is cause her to decline. Cancer, Salpingitis, EYP, etc. can be common in laying hens.

Sometimes gurgling can be due to the crop not emptying, do re-check the crop the make sure it's emptying overnight.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
she’s probably around 8 years. she did have mucous from the nostrils, all my chickens did for her it was runny when i saw the others with it it was a green crust. for the other birds it went away on its own so i assumed it was something that would pass then today she suddenly became very i’ll. no other bird shows any signs of illness anymore. she’s been sneezing and breathing with her mouth open, and coughing as well (i think) i got a few ducks and chickens around mid july but i didn’t start to notice illness until somewhat recently. it started with my new rooster, then the others formed the bubbly eyes. the first thing i noticed was the rooster gurgling, i thought it was purring at first 😂 when i checked her crop maybe over an hour ago it wasn’t firm it’s more soft i’m not sure if i would consider it to be squishy. i’ve been dipping her beak gradually into some sugar water so she can drink. i cant get her to eat right now unless i basically put it slightly on or in her beak then she will swallow it but she won’t eat on her own.

my pretty lady butters has started slowly and slowly getting weaker and weaker. she is the oldest of the chickens so old only her and one sister remain! (and a new rooster we brought in) they both stopped laying eggs but today she can no longer move.. family thinks it’s just old age but prior to this i noticed a problem in my chickens.they all had runny eyes and began gurgling. she’s currently laying at the entrance to the coop, limp, and gurgling. she’s definately very old but i wonder if there is a sickness that is bringing her to death faster. all my ducks haven’t had any symptoms. i’m not sure if there’s a way to add videos or else i’d show her gurgles. i’ve had chickens for many years but illnesses have never been a problem, only wounds that got infected due to predators or one pesky neighbors dog. which is an easy solution as i just give them antibiotics. what’s the best option to do if all my birds are sick?
(none of the birds have watery eyes or any other signs of sickness right now, the only thing butters has other than lethargy is the gurgling but about a week ago they had bubbly eyes and runny noses)
View attachment 3629093View attachment 3629094

How old is she?

What's her crop like?

and when the symptoms showed up originally what i was assuming was it was just a temporary irritation from cleaning out the coop (dust remains being breathed in) because the rooster and other hen had the bubbly eyes and stuff but it was gone within a couple days so i didn’t think much more of it until butters suddenly became lethargic. it’s probbaly been a week since the others lost symptoms. prior to this she wouldn’t come off her perch in the coop when i let them out the past couple mornings. then today she hid under the porch all day and was just laying in the coop entrance after being placed in there for the night. now she’s inside the house.

She looks much more comfortable there with you now.

Respiratory illness can be caused by bacteria or viruses. So the antibiotics may be helpful but they also may not.

If it were me I would focus on supportive care for now to see if she recovers some, and also keep a close eye on the rest of the flock.

If you have access to a vet they can probably determine the exact cause but I know that’s not always available or accessible to people.

There is a product called VetrX which is basically like Vicks for chickens. It can help a lot to promote respiratory health and there are a few methods for application.

still not eating or drinking much infortunately. i’ve seen her get up a few times which seems good. her nose seems to be leaky today

It’s good she survived the night and has some degree of energy. Do you have access to a vet who can help? If she’s not eating you might need to consider tube feeding. How are your other birds?

It’s good she survived the night and has some degree of energy. Do you have access to a vet who can help? If she’s not eating you might need to consider tube feeding. How are your other birds?
okay good neews she’s actively drinking on her own right now! there unfortunately isn’t a vet that’s close enough to take her to. my other birds seem to be doing okay.

okay good neews she’s actively drinking on her own right now! there unfortunately isn’t a vet that’s close enough to take her to. my other birds seem to be doing okay.

That’s great news! Hopefully with a bit of TLC she can bounce back.

Where are you located in the world? Is it quite cold? And what is the ventilation like in your coop? Poor ventilation can result in/exacerbate respiratory issues.

Keep Butters warm, hydrated, minimise stress and encourage her to eat. I have read that apple cider vinegar can help clear mucous. You could dilute a small amount in water and offer it to her — but it’s not something to give all the time.

Back
Top Bottom