ILT Question - important!!!

Wolflady2223

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 4, 2013
I posted yesterday that I had about 5 out of my 10 adult hens who have come down with an acute respiratory disease. Upon further reading I believe that it is ILT - the description sounds just like it and they have been coughing up a little bit of bloody mucous looking stuff. I tried treating with tylan 200 yesterday and they actually seemed a little more stable this morning - but if it IS ILT then its a virus and not treatable, but hopefully they won't die from secondary infection.

ANYWAYS I also recently received some chicks that are separate and in my house. I have been changing clothing and washing before working with them, but am afraid of transmission. Where can i purchase an emergency vaccine for my chicks???? I would love it if someone could send me a link. Will it work? Or is it too late?? :(

Hi dawg, thanks for responding again.

I read through the thread you posted on - like I said there are SOME flecks of blood that the chickens have shaken out when I've been medicating them and some had some dried specks on their feathers when i took them out this morning. From what I've read, this confirms it is ILT. Is this correct? Is there ANYTHING else it could be (with the blood included)??

Do I really have to cull them???? This is horrible :(

I am not well educated on ILT, so I cannot offer any solid advice other than to be very sure you have ILT before vaccinating, otherwise you could complicate things for yourself and your future flock. The ILT vaccine is live, and will make any vaccinated birds carriers of the virus. Make sure you are well educated on the pros and cons of this vaccine before you administer it.

Best wishes, I am hoping it's not ILT!

Thanks for all the help!!!! So here's the status update....

I called Dr. Michael Darre at UConn ag program. he is an expert on poultry. He did NOT recommend culling the flock. Instead he said they could definitely live through it. He recommended giving Duramycin in their water for 5 days and giving electrolytes. He is not against adding more birds to the flock later. He says that as lon gas they don't get a secondary infection they will build up immunity and survive and pass that through to any young as well. He confirmed my diagnosis, so it IS ilt, but even with the high mortality rate (and my girls had the severe strain) NONE of my chickens have died. They are doing better, in fact back to walking and running around without sneezing or headshaking or anything at all!!!!!! I am SO happy that I called him, he has been a great educational resource....

I would recommend this method to anyone who doesn't have a HUGE flock. (I have a smaller backyard flock) so they don't have to go through the agony of euthanizing their chickens. He recommended that if i did have one that passed away to call the state ag program and say "I don't know if it died from bird influenza" and they will come do a necropsy for free! Thanks again!!!!

This was reassuring to read, since I have been diagnosed with ILT and MG (which I only lost 2 of my babies in the process). Our State Dept of Ag Poulty Vet Dr. Dan said we didn't have to cull our small backyard flock, but to make sure that we kept it closed off to friends with poultry and I can no longer show or sell my silkies, but that's a small price to pay, to not have to kill my beloved pets. I don't know what I would do without my Brahma Mommas, Stalker Turkey, Crazy Khackis, Silly Silkies and the rest.

Back
Top Bottom