I'm a big baby!!!! Couldn't sleep all night...

operator16

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Colorado
Last night was the first night out in the coop for my 6-five week old EEs, 4-three week old BOs and BRs, and 2-two month old Polish chicks.

I couldn't sleep all night!!!! I have been feeling terribly guilty. As soon as we all came in for bed, we had our first really big thunder and lightning storm this season. The rain poured! The lightning lit up the place. It lasted about 45 minutes... I was so worried for them.

The coop was locked up tight except for the vent. window and cracks around the rafters for fresh air. I left the brooder light on, but it's about 5 feet up just to be sure the air didn't get too cold. There's fresh straw covering the place. And, I even left the food and water in because they've always had access to them...

It's very cool this morning. I am scared to death to go out there! Was it too cold? Seeing the weather it was in the 50s. It's been in the high 80s during the day and will continue like that during the day.

I don't know what to do with the temp. variations here in Colorado. Should I keep the light down lower and open the coop door? Will they know where to go to stay dry and warm?

I can't bring myself to go out there. I've been so hands on - visiting and holding them and giving them treats since their birth... But, now if I go out there and they're dead....
hu.gif

Four days ago I was in your shoes. I spent a sleepless night during a thunderstorm worrying about my 6-9 week old chicks in the coop for their first night. I was afraid to go out in the morning. They were fine. They were so excited to walk out of the coop and into the run. I gave them a little extra bird food and they loved it!

Funny but it took the 5 9 week olds only two days to sleep on the perches and go into the coop at night. The 6 week olds still group together in a corner of the coop. They still have to be carried in each night as well. But they are so cute and chirp at me when I pick them up.

Now I love going out in the morning to let them out. I am greeted so eagerly!

But I miss them in the house.
sad.png

I know how you feel! I am out of town today, I left my 4 young pullets outside in their new coop for the first time and Im waiting by the phone for my caretaker to call me and let me know they didnt get eaten!!!
bow.gif

Thank you all! It's always nice to hear others feel the same.

I did walk out 9am. There wasn't a sound inside.... However, when my 9 year old and I opened the door, they all started peeping and were very excited to see us. They all went to their little door to go out. I'm going to let the ground dry for another hour before they get to be out. I'm so relieved!

I can relate...I just put mine out of the brooder today...now mind you they are feathering out nicely..very nicely infact..and they are jumping at each other and taking dirt baths..but I have gone out 4 times tonight since about 7 p.m. to check on them...

Mine have been having a blast in the dirt and chasing flies! It's darling. I just went out to tuck them in and realized that it is still very warm out and decided not to turn the light heat lamp on. I locked up and started to walk away and I heard a HUGE ruckus in there and ram back to see what was up. They had all huddled by the door in a panic in the dark. Poor babies. I turned the light on and immediately the started to roam and found their roosts, etc... When I locked up again it was nothing but happy peeps coming from inside.

D'Angelo N Va. :

I can relate...I just put mine out of the brooder today...now mind you they are feathering out nicely..very nicely infact..and they are jumping at each other and taking dirt baths..but I have gone out 4 times tonight since about 7 p.m. to check on them...​

Back
Top Bottom