Im a newbie to it all HELP!!

Okay I put my eggs in Feb 15 which means they are due to hatch March 16th....Correct? I can see my chicks moving around in there!!! So fun!!! and exciting., So when I do Lockdown.....and I have to pump up humidity how do I do so without opening the incubator? I have to put a sponge in there...and do I leave my plugs out??? or in ? when is it SAFE to open the incubator and should I put water in there for the chicks????? im so excited~~~

On day 19, which I think for you will be about March 13.....put in some small jars of water with sponges sticking up out of them or something similar. It's okay to open the bator to put this in. Don't put in any water container that a chick will be able to climb into and get wet....they stumble all over the place just after they hatch and you don't want them drowing or spilling water everywhere....I use 2 little jelly jars with a sponge sticking up out of them...I put these in 2 corners they are heavy enough and tall enough that the chicks can't move or spill them or climb into them.

No you don't have to put drinking water in the incubator for the chicks. They don't actually need food or water for 2 to 3 days after they hatch they are still absorbing the last of their yolk inside their stomach. .

I give them their first food and water after I bring them out of the incubator and into the brooder though even though they don't technically need it the first day...they will eat and drink if it's provided.

awesome!!! thank you, what if the humidity gets to high in the incubator????

Whats a to high of temp freom day 18-21???? I know its 65% and above...Mine right now has been about 4-=55% for days 1-14....

Also when Do I take the eggs that I " think:" have nothing in them out? I can tell on a few that its just the Yolk inside...no dark spots nothing....?? I have 2 of my 10 are like that....

You could take those duds out now. Leaving them in won't help anything and I've heard they can explode eventually.

I don't really think you can get the humidity too high for the last 3 days....you'll probably have a challenge just keeping it up at 65-70%

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

I wouldn't worry about humidity getting too low (unless it drops less than 20% or so) I keep mine in the 30%-40% range the first 18 days, then increase to 65% or so. Humidity is important because the fluids in the egg have to evaporate for the chick to have air and room to hatch. The biggest issue I had when I started incubating was too much humidity.
On your question about chickens in-breeding: chickens have 78 chromosomes while humans only have 23. There are many more genes at play than with humans, and one could go 15-20 generations of inbreeding without significant health impacts.
When it comes to shrink wrapping the chicks: There is a thin membrane which coast the egg, when this membrane dries out it hardens and locks the chick into the egg. To avoid this, fill the water channels of the incubator and add wet sponges as needed on day 18. DO NOT open the incubator past day 18 until either all the eggs hatch or day 22-ish.
Also, you asked about the vent plugs: I always keep at least one open at all times. The eggs and developing embryos need air flow and oxygen.
Lastly, if you refer to the egg candling charts, at about day 10 is when I remove eggs that are clear and lack any development. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Everyone is here to help you get these chicks hatched! Happy Hatching!
jumpy.gif

Please help!!!!!!

help, how long after a chick interally pips should I start getting concerned they aren't going to be able to externally pip?

I have 3 eggs that are on day 22 they have eternally pipped, but not externaly, they are still cherping loudly but I'm getting concerned about the oxygen suply.

Not only do i hear the chesrping but i have candled them, and they are definitely eternally pipped.

Hi and :welcome
    I wouldn't worry about humidity getting too low (unless it drops less than 20% or so) I keep mine in the 30%-40% range the first 18 days, then increase to 65% or so. Humidity is important because the fluids in the egg have to evaporate for the chick to have air and room to hatch. The biggest issue I had when I started incubating was too much humidity. 
    On your question about chickens in-breeding: chickens have 78 chromosomes while humans only have 23. There are many more genes at play than with humans, and one could go 15-20 generations of inbreeding without significant health impacts.
    When it comes to shrink wrapping the chicks: There is a thin membrane which coast the egg, when this membrane dries out it hardens and locks the chick into the egg. To avoid this, fill the water channels of the incubator and add wet sponges as needed on day 18. DO NOT open the incubator past day 18 until either all the eggs hatch or day 22-ish. 
     Also, you asked about the vent plugs: I always keep at least one open at all times. The eggs and developing embryos need air flow and oxygen. 
     Lastly, if you refer to the egg candling charts, at about day 10 is when I remove eggs that are clear and lack any development. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Everyone is here to help you get these chicks hatched! Happy Hatching!
:jumpy
hi can you read my last 2 comments and possibly help me out please and thank you

Try not to worry :hugs I know that is easier said than done but from internally piping to making the external pip can be up to 24 hours. The chick should know what to do when the oxygen becomes low and c02 high. It kicks them into making the external pip.
Right now I would try to leave the eggs be and let nature take its course. Keep your humidity up and sit on those hands.
Good luck :fl

Last edited:
IMHO, if there isn't an external pip (break in the shell), it's up to the embryo/chick. At day 22, it may mean the temperature was a bit low during the whole time. I wouldn't try to do anything special until you have more progress.

Back
Top Bottom