I'm afraid I must ask...

PM me and I'll help you hatch it! You know it may have something wrong, maybe not but the way I figure it there's only one way to find out!. Adrien, I do agree with you! It is never good to intervien to early though!

Thank you all for your replies!
I appreciate it, but I wont freeze it, without at least trying to hatch it first!
Thank you for your offer of a PM! Ill ask you as soon as I've written this, just so I know how, if I decide to.
But I'd also like to see what others think of just waiting on it for another night? Especially considering that when I looked in there earlier, the egg was not just tapping but kind of contorting, as I had seen my others do just before they hatched... like the baby was kicking or something. But at the same time, I worry the baby may just become exhausted and weaken if I wait... what to do?
Love the citrus idea.. thanks! My plan (maybe not good... but what else?) for saving the baby from the ants was simply to give it a few (observed) minutes to dry a little bit... and then move it over to my brooder. Thats counting on this baby being as active and robust as the others were when they hatched (I had race-chicks
tongue.png
) but if it seems weak or looks like it may be picked on, I was thinking of putting it in another container I found and putting that down in the brooder under the light. Better than being bitten by ants (which are still IN the bator, no way to get them out ), right?

I finally thought of something for the ants... which I should of thought of yesterday! I folded duct tape to be double sided all around the uppermost edge of the bator... and now that its dark all the ants have vacated the bator. I must remember to duct tape my future hatches.
I ninja'd the thermometer as suggested.
big_smile.png
The reading is still stabilizing but I will post back with the temp when it does.

I'd help it...I know some talk about poking a hole in the air cell and from there helping hatch it out. It might be too big or something. But this far past the others, I'd do something by tomorrow morning. But thats just me.

If you pop a little hole out on the larger end the membrane will not break and you can see what state
the chick is in by the condition of the membrane. If its pink the membrane is not absorbed and he's not
ready, if it's papery and white might need a little help. I keep hearing how hatching is the litmus for
a healthy bird. I don't think that's true, that plenty of chicks had hatching problems have grown up to be strong adults.
Maybe the idea originates from larger hatcheries that are dealing
with thousands of chicks but most of us are anxiously waiting on just a couple that we can give individual
care that wouldnt be possible in a commercial situation. Right now I'm trying to save
a chick that hatched himself too early and didnt properly absorb his egg sac. The chick has struggle all day
with a massive amount of blood loss and fought off infection and is still alive. I was sure there was no possible
way this chick could survive yet it looks like he might just make it. I would try to help your chick along.

Just read this thread! What happened??!!! I hope you were able to help...I read a post from someone who let a late LOUD chick work on it overnight and the next morning the otherwise healthy chick was dead. I'm no expert but I wouldn't be able to live with that result. No judgement!! Of course you'll do what is right for you and yours!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom