1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm almost sure this is just a production hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shark Akhrrana, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Shark Akhrrana

Shark Akhrrana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Chicken Land
    [​IMG]
    I inherited several hens from an old friend. He said they were Goldies. But they just look like production hens to me.
    Not that I mind if they are. They are very nice hens.

2. Englishjodes

Englishjodes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Victoria, Australia
    Looks likes its saying "...say what?" [​IMG]

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    From the picture they could go either way. They look a bit more like RSL than Productions though. Could you get a full body side shot?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't know what Goldies are, or what you mean by production hen, but those look like red sex-links, which I guess could fit both those terms. I did notice the leg of the one hen looks like she might have scaly mite, have you checked that?

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Golden sex link, perhaps? That's still a production "breed" -- there are a ton of mixes and names for production layer crosses.

And yes, I'm seeing signs of scaly leg mites on both sets of legs showing in the photo. Hoping these birds are in quarantine and being treated for mites...

6. Shark Akhrrana

Apr 9, 2010
    Chicken Land
    Yes I am having that problem. When they gave them to me all 10 of them had mites, were egg eaters, and were badly malnourished. They told me about a powder i can use. I've been using that. It seems to be helping . They no longer eat the eggs thanks to some advice I got here. My Brahmas are separated from them so they don't have mites. Any suggestions on what i can use besides the powder stuff.

7. shookpoultry

shookpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    Claremont, NC
    Oxine AH... it's not cheap but it is very affective in many, many ways. 6.5 onces per gallon and then mist over the chickens. see our link for the label http://www.shookpoultry.net/oxine.pdf just be sure and zoom in to 125% to read it better.

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I use Neem oil for mite prevention (it's supposed to kill mites as well as being a repellant).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    First - Never seen a production layer with a head and comb as attractive (IMO) as hers. [​IMG] Most of them are just not my type.

Second - Does she have white feathers anywhere, or black feathers anywhere? Black - Production Red. White - Sex-Link

10. Shark Akhrrana

Apr 9, 2010
    Chicken Land
    Yes she has white on her head and back.[​IMG]

This is what I have

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by