I'm at a loss, please help my hen

A couple months back, my next door neighbor had a hen who could not stand or use her legs. She had been stung by a scorpion. They separated her from the flock and put a shallow dish of water, and a shallow dish of feed close to her. In about 4 days, she was up and walking around again. You didn't mention what region that you live in, so I don't know if you have scorpions around or not.

BlueBaby, I am in Louisiana. Way down south, no scorpions but plenty of snakes. I looked for a bite but couldn't really find anything. Her coordination is much better today too.

Can you post a picture of her legs? Also if you can feel her legs. are they warm? if so she may be able to be saved. Keep her warm... maybe in the basement. You may have to syringe feed her. Give her probiotic yogurt too. Ive been through this before too. If you have any more concerns don't be afraid to ask. good luck! :)
Her legs are warm to touch, thank you and everyone for the support. I love my birds and some folks just don't understand, they see just a chicken. I see a personality packed lil feather monster who greets me at my car when I get home from work. Nothing like pulling in the driveway and having my herd come running with their guard dog following close behind. Our doberman is the best protector, she watches over them everyday.

Last edited:
20170527_144259.jpg 20170527_144656.jpg
She is still eating ok. Still trying to strand but can't. I wish I could make her better.

is there any chance she mightve just jumped off something too high and landed on her legs the wrong way? one of my birds did that last year and was hopping on one leg for a couple of weeks but otherwise she was fine

is there any chance she mightve just jumped off something too high and landed on her legs the wrong way? one of my birds did that last year and was hopping on one leg for a couple of weeks but otherwise she was fine
i hope its this, she is pushing with her legs just unable to stand on them. She flaps her wings and tries to stand but just cant. I held her up for a while today, i just don't know whats wrong. She is getting more active now and I'm hoping she can recover.

She hasn't been in contact with other birds. She is eating less today but she is alert. I just bathed her.

Ok she just pooped a hard poop ball and some runny poop. It had a strong ammonia odor. Could it be part of a blockage?

Back
Top Bottom