I'm at a loss, please help my hen

Pics

Adinafloyd

In the Brooder
May 7, 2015
I found my hen on the floor of the hen house. I have brought her inside and its like she has no use of her legs. I bathed her and didn't see any mites or creepy crawlers on her. She will drink when I hold the water to her but it seems her coordination is a little off as well. I am giving her a vitamin treated water and I have been blending chick starter in yogurt but she is not showing much interest in that. She is at least 4 years old (I rescued her) and she is a red star. She is so weak and thin. I have checked her but cannot find where she is egg bound. Whitish poop with a lot clear fluid (I am thinking its from all the water and no food). I do not have a vet nearby that handles poultry. Please I want to help her so badly and have been nursing her (with hubby's help) round the clock for a few days now. All other chickens and roosters seem fine for now. Thanking you all in advance.
Signed,
One tired, worried, chicken momma

I'm sorry to here this, i don't know what this could be but carry on loving the baby......:(she may pull round, someone in here will come on here and tell you whats up with your baba! xxx :thumbsup Ive just remembered, sour crop? maybe, this is one illness I've heard of a lot....:hugsI pray she gets better soon....

A couple months back, my next door neighbor had a hen who could not stand or use her legs. She had been stung by a scorpion. They separated her from the flock and put a shallow dish of water, and a shallow dish of feed close to her. In about 4 days, she was up and walking around again. You didn't mention what region that you live in, so I don't know if you have scorpions around or not.

Can you post a picture of her legs? Also if you can feel her legs. are they warm? if so she may be able to be saved. Keep her warm... maybe in the basement. You may have to syringe feed her. Give her probiotic yogurt too. Ive been through this before too. If you have any more concerns don't be afraid to ask. good luck! :)

900x900px-LL-20778a8a_chickensling-500x276.jpeg

7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

You could try to make her a sling and place her in it for supervised time - it may help get her upright and possibly get her moving the legs as well.

These are used for all sorts of things, from broken legs/injury, chickens that have Marek's, etc. Search here on BYC or Google for "chicken sling" or "marek's sling" and you may find some inspiration.

Glad to hear she is still eating.

I have been giving her vitamins. She really wants to stand but just can't. Mauve she is still too weak from whatever she had. I'm going to continue pampering her and hope she is able to beat this. As long as she is improving I will continue trying to save her. I don't know how long I can let her struggle but she doesn't seem to be hurting in any way.

Back
Top Bottom