I'm back!

I'm sure we won't have nearly as many predators in town! Especially not with as many dogs as in the neighborhood. We're pretty sure it was a bobcat that got most of the flock out at the farm (although there have been rumors of a cougar passing through the area too). Whatever it was, it was big enough to clear the 6ft tall fence without touching it. Biggest wildlife I expect in town is a raccoon. We do have hawks and owls in the area but the city ordinance requires runs to be enclosed on all sides including the top.

We'll probably use hardware cloth in the garage where we're building the coop itself, but I feel pretty confident that 2×4 wire fencing with chicken wire around the bottom should be adequate for the run. It certainly worked well enough when we lived in Urbana.

I'm sure we won't have nearly as many predators in town! Especially not with as many dogs as in the neighborhood. We're pretty sure it was a bobcat that got most of the flock out at the farm (although there have been rumors of a cougar passing through the area too). Whatever it was, it was big enough to clear the 6ft tall fence without touching it. Biggest wildlife I expect in town is a raccoon. We do have hawks and owls in the area but the city ordinance requires runs to be enclosed on all sides including the top.

We'll probably use hardware cloth in the garage where we're building the coop itself, but I feel pretty confident that 2×4 wire fencing with chicken wire around the bottom should be adequate for the run. It certainly worked well enough when we lived in Urbana.
1/2 inch hardware cloth will protect against predators that are able to get into small areas...weasels and minks. They can take out an entire flock very quickly and get into any hole greater than 1 inch. They are very prominent in your area.

Back
Top Bottom