I'm being ROBBED

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emsdial911, Dec 30, 2010.

1. emsdial911

emsdial911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Question, do the eggs get bigger as the chickens get older? Mine have just started laying (EE) and the eggs are smaller than our store bought large eggs. I thought EE were supposed to lay X-Large eggs. Also does the feed have anything to so with the size?

2. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    Our EE just started laying also and her eggs are very small. They are a cute minty green though, so I still think they are adorable. I'll be interested to know the answer to the question as well. They look like little midget eggs next to the ones from our sex-link hen. Hers are ginormous![​IMG]

3. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

pullet eggs are smaller, they will work up to normal sized eggs as they age a bit

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes, first they start laying what are called "pullet eggs."

Then they get bigger.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

And bigger, & bigger. Our EE eggs are HUGE!

6. Bandit

Bandit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Utah
    My EE lays extra large eggs that are too big for the egg carton. Yours should increase in size as time goes by.

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This. We've got Gold Sex Links... supposedly bred to be uber layers... and even they had a few hitches (small eggs, double yolkers, no egg at all) when they were first starting... now we get an egg a day, same size, like clockwork.

8. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    The eggs will get larger as the hen matures. Just give her a little time! They get bigger pretty quickly! I think feed only has to do with egg size insofar as it affects the health of the hen. A better quality feed will help a hen achieve her optimal size which will influence the size of the egg.

That said, we have one EE that didn't lay until 7-8 months. Her very first egg was an extra large. Crazy. The hen, however, is HUGE.

9. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Agreed with above, as the girls age, their eggs get bigger, just like their butts. It takes time and they will get more regular too.

10. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Ditto what everyone else said. As they get older they lay larger eggs. I felt gipped when I got small eggs at first. Then I started getting large and double yolkers when the girls got older.

I am a little late for this but [​IMG]

Come on over and visit the rest of us on the Hoosier thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by