I'm confused

MelM

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2019
Hi all. I have this rooster (well I'm pretty sure) but when I look up 13 week bar rock it's not showing comb ect for that age. There is feathering for a rooster. It acts like a rooster. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is it actually a rooster????

Attachments

• 20190920_140315.jpg
    20190920_140315.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 25
Hi all. I have this rooster (well I'm pretty sure) but when I look up 13 week bar rock it's not showing comb ect for that age. There is feathering for a rooster. It acts like a rooster. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is it actually a rooster????
It looks like the comb is not a straight comb.

Are you sure you don't have a dominique?

Keep the chick for a bit longer to see if it crows or lays an egg

it is a cockerel to me, you can't just go by the comb appearance, you can see it already in the saddle feathers and neck feathers along with the coloring, his white bars are bigger than his black bars, hatchery or back yard breeders do not breed to standard and that is probably what pictures you saw.

Each bird is an individual too some of the changed do not start until the hormones kick in, but as you said in other post they are standing up to each other hormones are starting to kick in and with more than one rooster they will have to work it out like pecking order and will probably drive the hens/pullets insane for a bit as teenagers on hormone rush, just be thankful it doesn't last as long as humans before leveling out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom