I'm confused

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtnhomechick, Jun 27, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I just started raising chickens since Feb. of this year so I am new to chickens and this forum.

Here's my question....

My 16 week old Buff O. laid and egg two days ago. It was quite obvious because she was making lots of racket and searching out a place. Well, this went on for an hour or so and when I noticed she was back in the run and being quiet again, I went into the coop ( run is attached to coop ) and there was the most perfect small brown egg in the nesting box. Needless to say I was delighted.

Yesterday morning she started the same behavior and we had to be at a neighbors for breakfast so I couldn't stay. When we returned I was sure I would find an egg.........NOT.

Today the same thing......laying behavior and no egg. Callie....my California White was laying in a nesting box next to Buffy cackling like crazy. I thought I might even have two eggs.....but nothing.

Is this normal? Will my other hens start laying if one starts laying on a regular basis?

2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I'm not an expert on egg-laying, but that seems pretty young to me. Just wanted to bump this up for you. [​IMG] And BTW, welcome to BYC! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, when you post a topic, it helps to be more specific in your heading. It will get more attention. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  3. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Thanks for the welcome and response. I've been reading these posts for a long time and decided to join. What a great forum. I love all the info I get here.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Many times a new layer will skip days or even weeks after laying her first eggs. I wouldn't worry too much. She'll start back. That is really super young for that breed to lay.

5. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I wasn't expecting eggs for at least another month. I was so surprised. I wouldn't mind if she didn't lay for awhile. She continues to go through the behavior of laying though. I think that's rather strange.

A week ago I gave my BR roo away because he crowed constantly.........he mated with her before he left. I saw that. Can that make them lay early?

BTW......he was such a nice roo but too noisy........he is free ranging about a half mile away......and has a good home.

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* When mine is acting like that, she ALWAYS lays an egg SOMEWHERE!!!! Middle of the road, neighbor's apt. stoop, neighbor's garage, under neighbor's camper (3 out of 4 neighbors have been left egg gifts-- that's why she's free-range no more!), behind our hurricane shutters. . . . . . [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by