I'm Confusedddd

WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Okay, I have been reading posts and chicken magazines and I need to understand something. I have read that red combs means that it is a good layer and not that they are ready to start laying. Can someone please clue me in??? I have a few hens that have bright red combs and have had them for about 3 weeks now... they are 16 weeks and no eggs which I do not expect to get any for about another 2+ weeks if I have heard you all correctly... Please help me to understand.

Thanks
Tes

As this is my first batch of chickens, I am no expert, but here is my experience. My chickens combs started turning nice and tall and red about 2-3 weeks before they began to lay. I am talking about my red sex links. They just started laying a week ago at 17 weeks old.

My other chickens have not started to lay yet, but there combs are not THAT red yet, so I am not expecting anything for a few weeks yet.

Patience! You will be flooded with eggs soon enough!
big_smile.png

Yep, I find that my pullet's combs start to redden up at 4-5 months and start laying within a month after that. Now if you have a old hen, and she has a bright red comb with pale legs, she's prob laying well.. If her comb is dull and small, with legs the color they were when she was a pullet, chances are she doesnt lay as much.

Thanks for the info. I just got confused, since I am reading different things. I appreciate the info and understand more. Can't wait to see that first egg, but, guess I am going to have to
roll.png
lol.png
I will be sure to take a pic and share when I do. The ones that have the redest combs are my Barred Rocks, my Light Brahmas and a couple of my Buff Orpingtons. All are 16 1/2 weeks right now.

Thanks again
Tes

Back
Top Bottom