1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

I'm Confusedddd

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WindyOaksYokes, Jul 31, 2007.

1. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Songster

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Okay, I have been reading posts and chicken magazines and I need to understand something. I have read that red combs means that it is a good layer and not that they are ready to start laying. Can someone please clue me in??? I have a few hens that have bright red combs and have had them for about 3 weeks now... they are 16 weeks and no eggs which I do not expect to get any for about another 2+ weeks if I have heard you all correctly... Please help me to understand.

Thanks
    Tes

2. mommahento5

mommahento5 Songster

Jul 6, 2007
    South East Indiana
    As this is my first batch of chickens, I am no expert, but here is my experience. My chickens combs started turning nice and tall and red about 2-3 weeks before they began to lay. I am talking about my red sex links. They just started laying a week ago at 17 weeks old.

My other chickens have not started to lay yet, but there combs are not THAT red yet, so I am not expecting anything for a few weeks yet.

3. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Songster

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Patience! You will be flooded with eggs soon enough! [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, I find that my pullet's combs start to redden up at 4-5 months and start laying within a month after that. Now if you have a old hen, and she has a bright red comb with pale legs, she's prob laying well.. If her comb is dull and small, with legs the color they were when she was a pullet, chances are she doesnt lay as much.

5. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Songster

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Thanks for the info. I just got confused, since I am reading different things. I appreciate the info and understand more. Can't wait to see that first egg, but, guess I am going to have to [​IMG] [​IMG] I will be sure to take a pic and share when I do. The ones that have the redest combs are my Barred Rocks, my Light Brahmas and a couple of my Buff Orpingtons. All are 16 1/2 weeks right now.

Thanks again
    Tes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by