I'm DEAD! :(

I Live in Atlanta, GA, 1 family got caught with chickens and had to remove them. My chickens live in a shed, (huge!) I could live in it myself.

I cannot believe that, even in Providence Rhode Island, houses are very close, chickens up to six, no roosters are allowed.

What does acreage have to do with having chickens, most keep them confined, away from predators and from going onto neighbor's property.

Must be a Town of non thinking you know what

We have a chicken ordinance that is about two years old. Before that, chickens were illegal within town limits. A young girl who wanted to keep the chickens started the drive to allow people to have chickens. She was allowed to keep her chickens during the process.

Talk to someone on your city council. You can remain anonymous at first, if you are afraid. Ask them what the process would be to get an ordinance in your town that allows people to have a few chickens, without roosters, in backyards. It may or may not be successful, but it's worth a try.

Yay Chicks! :

We have a chicken ordinance that is about two years old. Before that, chickens were illegal within town limits. A young girl who wanted to keep the chickens started the drive to allow people to have chickens. She was allowed to keep her chickens during the process.

Talk to someone on your city council. You can remain anonymous at first, if you are afraid. Ask them what the process would be to get an ordinance in your town that allows people to have a few chickens, without roosters, in backyards. It may or may not be successful, but it's worth a try.

x2! And get your neighbor who had to get rid of theirs involved if they are willing...nothing like numbers of citizens wanting change to get city council to do something....I know my city's council members run scared if they think the people are upset about something.​

Its a little alarming to see all the sugestions that you be dishonest especially LYING TO THE POLICE. That is more serious than a couple of hens. You are breaking the law. It may be a dumb law but you are willfully breaking the law, so if you get caught, you will have to pay the consequenses. I think you should try to get the law changed instead of worring about getting caught breaking it. Dont lie to your neighbors or the police, your honor is worth more than chickens.

Quote:
I feel the same way about the lying. I know fighting to change laws is time consuming and frustrating at times but so very worth it if you succeed. I would stay stressed out all of the time if I were having to constantly be sneaky. Good luck OP.
fl.gif

Quote:
I bought my house and property earlier this year with the assurance by the real estate folks that there were no restrictions on keeping chickens. After I was in residence with my flock, I was cited because, although the parcel is inside the Residential Agricultural zone, it is less than an acre in size. THAT ordinance is NOT clearly listed at all, but by not being listed as permitted by right or allowed through the permit process. In other words, if you don't SEE poultry listed as allowed, it's not allowed. Really stupid way to run a zoning regulation, IMNSHO.

Anyway, the Code Enforcement Officer didn't believe my chickens were pets, because there's a whole flock of them. I was given a notice first, to remove them by a certain date.

Well, I am not removing them. I am appealing the citation, which I did receive nearly two months after the date I was supposed to "cease and desist from [my] illegal activity." When I called the Code Enforcement Officer to obtain the appeals process form, he happened to say, "Your chickens are really friendly. They came right down to the fence as I was writing the citation. Probably looking to be fed?"

"No," I replied, "THEY ARE PETS. They like people!" And that's something I am going to mention in the appeals hearing, as well as other evidence of them being pets. Also, my real estate broker has people lined up to pack the room for the hearing, once the date is set.

I'm fighting it. If the administrative hearing upholds the citation, I am going to request an appeals hearing with the County Board of Supervisors for a variance.

Last edited:
Of course it is in the land of the "free" that we are discussing the criminality, and fear of the police, because of a chicken. Do note the sarcasm.
roll.png

Well even before I noticed the breeds you have I suspected Dominiques. I had two and Lord have mercy if they weren't the noisiest hens. They would get in the coop at early, well before dark and squawk like crazy as if saying. "I SAID SOME TO BED! " If ever there was squawking you can bet they were involved.

I suggest trading the noise makers for a less noisy breed. I suggest, Delaware, Buff Orpingtons, and perhaps Cochins. Any of the European breeds, such as game hens or leghorns will be loud and noisy, I think.

Also try to keep things calm. No blowing sheets or things that will scare them.

I wish you the best,

Rancher

Quote:
I think, but I not 100%, if you live in City of Atlanta you should be fine.

Its when you actually live in none incorporated parts of the two counties that you would have problems...

Some address in the county still say Atlanta even though they are not in the city.
You should check to make sure.

If you're in Dekalb county, good luck. The code enforcement are a bunch of thugs along with the Judges at the Recorders Court who don't bother to actually look at the ordinance.

Back
Top Bottom