I'm definitely addicted (long)

Country Gal

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
Capac, MI
Well, I'm definitely addicted to chickens... and hobby farm life in general. Seriously, I wish that I could afford to quit my office job and spend each day tending to the animals and my garden! I've been living in the country for 3 years now, and this spring was finally my jumping point to start my hobby farm.

Chickens... I have 27 of them. I thought that would be plenty! But I find myself wanting to buy more!!! My original plan was to wait until next spring and let one or two of the hens each hatch their own, but I find myself seriously considering letting them try hatching this fall in all hopes that one or two will get a bit broody! And now I want to try different breeds too - I'd definitely like to get some buff laced wyandottes, and I think that some leghorns would look really cool roaming the property. I don't know how to cure this addiction!

Pigs... I didn't know that they would have so much personality! I thought to myself "hey, they're pigs. I'll get 2, I won't get attached, and I'll have lots of meat in the freezer this fall." What do I do? Name them! Porky & Petunia. They're a little over 100 pounds right now. When I go to feed them, they run up to the fence to be pet. And they're kinda cute! I currently have 2 buyers for a 1/2 pig each. I think that my DF and I can manage eating a whole pig ourselves over the next year if need be, but I also figured that if I can find another buyer for another 1/2, I'll break even on my pork investment and the 1/2 we keep will basically be free. I think I'll try 4 pigs next year.

Cows... I don't have cows yet, but my friend Mike got some day olds last winter. I went over early one morning to help him bottle feed them and decided that I definitely need some cows! I figured that at the very least, DF would keep me in line and finally put his foot down. Nope! He jumped on the band wagon last week. Cows are in the future!

Garden... I must pat myself on the back this year with my garden. I haven't killed anything yet and it's not overgrown with weeds! If I keep this up through the growing season, I may just double the size next year! And I definitely want to add a berry patch somewhere on the property.

So many things I still want to try... turkeys, goats, guinneas...

What do I do??? How do I contain myself???

Ahhhh my dear friend...you have the FEVER!!! Dont stop now!! The only cure is.....PURCHASES!! LOL We wanted just a few hens...6 or 7....we had NO plans on getting any of our "own" We only wanted to rescue farm animals...get them healthy, and find them new homes. We now have 60 chickens, 2 turkeys, and 8 ducks. Looking into getting piggies next spring...for the freezer...yeah, thats what I will do with them. LOL The garden is finally going to be ok, now that we fenced it off....the blackberry patch didnt have a chance with the chickens....nor did the grapes. The apple tree is ok, so far, and so are the elderberry bushes. ( Shhhh, they chickens dont know where they are yet) I say.....GO GIRL GO!! If Old McDonald can have a farm...so can you! LOL

Country Gal...me too! I've been obsessing about a hobby farm too, but I'm still stuck in Vegas!
sad.png

Ooooo ooooo I want a farm too! Gimmie gimmie! Maybe I could start taking donations........ Hmmmm

Spare some change for a farm? Lol

My husband thinks I'm nuts, but he'd be willing to do the farm thing too. I think that he thinks I'm turning into a chicken. He asked me when I was going to start growing feathers...

i want cows.

really bad.
but my property isnt even an acre. hahahah

maybe i can hide it in the basement!

I know what your saying!!! I started with 9 chickens, and now DH has decided to raise pigs, beef cattle and says I can get a goat!!!! He also wants pheasants, and quail! I'm currently up to 21 chickens with two hens setting. And I still keep studying the McMurray catalog!!!! We're going to have to lease some more land from the farmer that abuts our property, because I think we need more room.
hmm.png

Thanks for all the support!

Cheeks - miniature cows are becoming popular, you may be able to pull it off on your property!!!

It is addicting isn't it???
big_smile.png
Farm life is the greatest. Especially since I've been on BYC, I see breeds that I would love to have and my DH just rolls his eyes.

So far I have chickens, ducks and goats but I've also got quite a list of "must haves" going on myself, Llamas, Miniature Zebu cattle, babydoll sheep, a little Welsh pony (I say for my DD, but more for me
tongue.png
) Gypsy horses...etc... of course I'll need a small fortune if I'm ever to acquire a Gypsy...or a Zebu. I think I almost have my DH convinced on the Llama...

Trust me it never ends...I'm libel to end up in a zoo before too long and I believe I would be most happy there....
big_smile.png

If its gonna be a true HOBBY farm you left out Emu's and Llammas. Getem while the're hot. I almost forgot Alpacas. Pass on the little cows, it will cost you as much for a calf as you would spend for a fulll sized cow that just needs fattened and sent to the freezer(we wont mention where he has to go inbetween those stops because they are pets RIGHT?)
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom