I'm devastated.... (poop pictures btw..)

We don't normally have bears here either. The neighbor across the heavily traveled state road saw a bear on Sunday in his orchard. This morning my son saw it in my BIL's yard next door when he took the dog out! We had one walk through our backyard on June 1, 2007 & yes I remember the date! That year it was seen all over the area & one (same one?) was seen in the town park no 1/4 mile from my father's house in a very populated area 15 miles away. While we are in a farm area, the area is 5 miles from Reading & coated with developments in recent years & we live off a heavily traveled state road. This time of year they come down from the Blue Mountains looking for territory. Two people have estimated this one to be 200+ pounds which would make it not the normal young bear. My son works as a Forester for the PA Game Commission & sees bears quite often in his work & of course when he is hunting up north. He scoffed when told this bear was 200-250 lbs. until he saw it this morning! He took off down toward the developments behind us. It is a bit worrisome that it is a larger bear. Anyway, maybe don't completely rule out a bear. Would love to see the damage on your neighbors coop.

It certainly is possible that it could have been a family group of raccoons, they can do huge amounts of damage. Feral or stray dogs are another possibility. I would be surprised if it was fox. Foxes are opportunists and they usually kill cleanly, although, a family group might be a possibility, I doubt it. A coyote would also kill cleanly. I agree with 21 Hens in Charge, I thought it looked like raccoon poop, and still think it was raccoons. Get a trail cam. I doubt a bear could kill and carry off seven chickens at once.

Yeah, that looks like raccoon poop. They are stinky like you describe. At least the males are. They are also very strong, and even more destructive in groups. When I was younger, we had an old camper trailer that got turned into a tack and feed room. It had power and a working fridge, plus a chest freezer in there. Coons pried the door open and destroyed it. they ripped the fridge door off, tore through the feezer, tipped over 50gal drums of feed and ripped up saddles. They were caught in the act due to the noise, but if they hadn't been caught, a bear would have easily gotten the blame.
I'm very sorry for the loss of your chickens. I do agree with others that is possible some of what the coons left behind was scavenged by another predator.

Did you find anymore information? The thing I find odd, is that it/they hit 2 different coops.

Where in northern IL do you live? I am in Lake County up by military base and have 12 2 week old chicks (various cross breeds) if you or your neighbor are interested. We can't be too far apart.

Racoons do travel in packs. I once had an RV, and one night a family of them got on my roof. It was quite a commotion with them walking around and trying to pry open the roof skylight/vent.

i hav seen raccoons travel in packs.It was young ones (Mother was killed I believe),it was in my yard they were traveling,just a few yards from my coop.

I am going with coons.

Funny anecdotal story about coons in packs...

I was standing in a parking lot at John Pennekamp Park in FL when I noticed a pack of coons crossing the lot. They split into two groups: one coon headed toward a picnic table by the woods where a family was eating, and the other 3 or 4 headed into the woods. The one coon went up to the table and started begging. Then when the family was distracted by the beggar, the others came out of the woods behind the family and stole as much food as they could. Then all of them made a run for it. Smart creatures.

Back
Top Bottom