I'm Down Two Also :(

hippy.cate

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I'm Cate, from the Sunshine Coast on Australia. I've been lurking on these boards for many weeks getting a lot of ideas and hints on how best to be caring for my chickens. Great resource, thank you. I never imagined how obsessed I would become with these chickens!!

A few nights ago, however, I went out to my chicken coup to be greated by a 2.5m long Australian Carpet Python - with one Australorp and one Leghorn in his belly.

I had the folks from Australia Zoo come and take the Python away, but the remaining chooks are clearly traumatised and point-blank refuse to go back into the shed. They have a HUGE fenced yard, which they are happy with, but at the first signs of sunset they fly over the fence and up tree, where they've spent the last 2 nights.

I'm not 100% certain on the age - maybe 15-16 weeks (not laying). How can I get them back into the chook shed? The Australia Zoo folks were really good in showing us how to "snake proof" the shed, to keep the pythons out at least.

I've tried giving it a clean out and laying new shavings and lime. ANY advice would be really appreciated. Even if the advise is to let them sleep in the tree... I'm just not sure what the right thing to do is.

Hi!!!! i'm sooo sorry about your problems!! Wow...an anaconda!!
th.gif
That's a new one on me and, I would guess, the majority on here! We only deal with black snakes here in the good old US of A. I know nothing about what's lurking in the trees in Australia but, I'd probably let them roost in the trees and see what happens. Can you reach them with a ladder? If so, you could bring them in the coop at night if you're willing to climb and grab. OR, you could clip their wings (one wing per hen) to keep them from flying over. They have short memories so, in a few days, they will probably forget what happened. Lucky you could get some advice on how to snake-proof your coop!!! Good luck, whatever you decide to do and, before I forget...
welcome-byc.gif

they'll be back in when they feel it's save enough for them..

Same thing happen to my chooks and pigeons as well afetr the neighbour's cat come for a visit.

Thanks for your advice and welcomes. I feel inclined to let them go and wait till they are ready to come back. Husband on the other hand feels we need to "take charge" and not let the chickens win, or they will take over and they will never do as they're told
roll.png
I guess that's a guy thing??

Yes! It's probably about 20 minutes away, but around here everything is at least 20 minutes away. The folks from there were just so nice, they came with a film crew to catch the extraction on film. It's a great place to visit - the croc show is amazing!

LOL fortunately they are good pet owners, and keep their animals in their own yards.

Back
Top Bottom