I'm dropping social media - but not BYC! I say it doesn't count - what do you think?

Does backyard chickens count as "average" social media?

• Yes, it's 100% social media just like Facebook and Instagram.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No, it's not really the same - it's nicer here

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • It is social media, but it's not toxic like the others can be because our moderators are awesome!

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters
I quit Farcebook in early 2020, sick of the censoring, flaming, and general assholery. Tried MeWe (dumb name, btw) and...they try, but they're never going to have the traffic for business that I did enjoy from FB. As much as I appreciate the effort, MeWe is kinda lame.

The business aspect is one thing I'll miss. Kind of a big deal in my work, but my peace of mind was worth it. I'm a happier, nicer person without FB.

Is BYC social media? Maybe. Don't care. It doesn't feel like social media, because the only really "enforced agenda" is simply; don't be a jerk. Nobody is going to shut down my page because I ate a rooster or sell chicks.

This morning I was looking for a "break room" kind of outlet--the hubs and I both work from home, so my social outlets are...limited. (It's a good thing we like each other, or this 24/7 togetherness would result in a homicide investigation at some point.)

I do visit on the Arizona thread, because that's where I live--but I like hearing from folks all over. One great thing about leaving FB has been the absence of the mind-numbing time-suck factor! How many times a day did I log on? BYC lets me spend online time with like-minded folks, but it doesn't feel like an unhealthy addiction.

Thanks for starting this thread. Not sure if this thread is the "break room" I am looking for, but it's good to hear from folks who managed to Resist the Borg and break free. :)
It is a really great way to chat with people that probably wont devolve into politics!

Back
Top Bottom