I'm fed up with Paychex again (regarding taxes)

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
Didn't I have issues with them last year?

I'm trying to figure out why only $360 was withheld from my checks last year (with zero exemptions).

I put into the IRS online calculator assuming the same withholding for 2011 they expect $3360 to be withheld. The numbers are not that different from last year, so why was so little withheld last year???
he.gif

I've really had it "up to here" with them! I love my job, but I can't tolerate this outside Paychex service!!!!!

if the numbers are that off, it sounds like they are making an error.

for 2009 and 2010, withholding amounts were lowered as part of the stimulus. This lowered withholding was made up for with the Making Work Pay credit. But since the credit was only $400, your withholding shouldn't have been affected THAT much.

Its kind of late to do anything about the 2010 withholding, so you might owe taxes. But keep an eye on your withholding for this year, and if it doesn't look right, contact your HR department and insist it gets straightened out. If you're claiming 0 exemptions, you should not have to deal with the possibility of owing taxes, and facing IRS penalties for underpayment of estimated taxes because someone else is making a mistake.

Quote:
The thing is, our "HR" person doesn't do much of anything except print off and submit our payroll report to the Paychex people. I blame the HR person, they blame the Paychex person, they blame the HR person right back, but her ego is too big to admit fault, so it must not have happened....so she doesn't fix anything. We all hate her with a passion.

Ok I do think I made an error in my 2011 calculation, but still it's way off.

What I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is that I have 24 check stubs from last year, several of which they took ZERO fed taxes out of, for a total of $363 all year. I have 5 check stubs from this year and they have already taken $160 out. Is the withholding supposed to be increased that much this year? Does that make work pay credit not apply in 2011? Why the big difference???

What is your gross pay? Weekly, bi-weekly, semi-monthly? I CAN tell you that federal taxes are withheld based on gross payroll and unless your gross amount is a certain amount then nothing will get withheld. What you can do is fill out another W-4 and write in a set amount to have withheld ADDITIONALLY each pay period.

Quote:
what's gross pay? I get paid by the hour, checks bi-weekly and it varies quit a bit.
However I made right about 55 hours on 3 checks and they took zero out of 2, and $5 out of one, why the difference? I made 61 hours on two checks, they took $15 out of one and less than $4 out of the other, why such a difference on practically the same amount of pay??? It's like they are just pulling the numbers out of their butts, at least is how it seems to me.

If this is a part time job, it is fairly easy to get under withheld.

What I would do is:

download this pdf file http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf

Look
up the page for your payroll type, monthly, bi monthly, weekly etc.............

Look up what they should be withholding based on your filing status and the gross for ONE paycheck. See if the numbers match

If your hours vary, then the amount with held will vary too, and below a certain point there is no deduction.

This can really hurt at tax time if you are working more than one part time job, because both part time jobs are withholding based on their info, not a combined pay amount. To compensate for that you need to increase your withholding or set money aside in a savings account.

To be honest, I doubt that PayChex is making the mistake............now to convince your HR person (printing out the chart page your check is on and proving the wrong withholding might help your cause)

Quote:
That's probably the problem. I only have one part time job myself, but between the two of us.

Paychex has made more mistakes in the 1.5 years I've been paid by them, I honestly can't understand why they are still in business, or why my employer continues to use them. We've had different HR people submitting information, but the checks still come out wrong.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom