I'm finally getting pygmy goats!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sred98, Oct 8, 2009.

1. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    After a nightmare experience with the owner of some goats I got a few months ago...we finally found some goats that we liked. One thing I learned is to get a bill of sale!!! Even if it's someone you "sort of" know. Maybe especially then, because they can cause a lot more problems for you if they end up being unstable. [​IMG]

So...we will pick them up this weekend. [​IMG] The 2 females are pregnant. They will be due in December and January. One is triplets and the other is twins. What special feed do I need to give them? Is there a special pregnant goat feed? When they are due, how will I tell? How long before delivery do they "bag up"? Both of them have kidded before with no problems. Do I need to restrict their activity, or keep them penned up, rather than letting them free-range?

I am sooo excited! I'll post pics as soon as we get them! The 3rd one is a billy. I am debating neutering him, because I was hoping to milk the goats and don't want the milk tainted. [​IMG] How far away does he need to be from the females to keep the milk tasting good?

Thanks!

Shelly

2. arabookworm

arabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I heard on another thread in this forum (and I am no expert, never had goats, so feel free to completely ignore this) that the thing about male goats tainting the milk is a myth.

3. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well that would be nice! [​IMG] Maybe it is? I've always heard it did make it taste "strong". [​IMG]

I can't wait to make cheese with the milk! [​IMG] We are going to have a cheese making party. My Romanian friend makes hard goat cheese and my Iranian friend makes the soft goat cheese. I can't wait to try them both! [​IMG]

We've wanted goats for a long time, and the kids are so excited! These are super friendly and walk on a leash. We've got their place all ready for them! [​IMG]

Shelly

4. arabookworm

arabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I wish I could have goats too, but the area I live in is not rural enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by