I'm freaking out here!!!

A parrot cage? Hmm. Well, we have cats, trains going by constantly and dogs in our neighborhood. Your chickens will more than likely be asleep and won't notice and as long as the parrot cage is secure and nothing can just reach though easily they should be fine for however much time you need to get that coop done.
thumbsup.gif
- Daughter on dads account
wee.gif

Fried Green Eggs, I agree! Before I got the chicks I would stalk this site. I knew I would love them but I never thought I'd be as crazy as I have turned out to be. I have so many questions it's ridiculous, despite reading everything I can get my hands on.

I completely understand about the "empty Nest" feeling, quite literally.

I did the baby monitor thing too. They have each other and if they are warm and safe, they will be just fine.

So how did their night go?

Has anyone heard?

Awwww, my heart actually lurched a bit for you! We have only had ours for a week and I am soooo attached! I know I will be in the same boat when the time comes. My DH is actually building me a larger brooder so they can stay in the house as long as possible. And I have already started begging for my favorite one to stay in the house with me (a cage for sleeping and chicken diapers for the day)! It started as a joke, but now I find myself wonderring, what if...??? lol!

I am anxious to hear how it went.

So, they have been out for a couple nights now. They were doing great until today. Today is a bad day for chickens at my house.
I let them roam for about an hour today. I am usually 100% attached to their location, but I thought, "I'm only inside the door and I need to study for my midterm". Well I stepped in for less than 20 minutes and had a gut wrenching feeling I need to put them in their cage. I go out there and my two older ones are perched on the deck rail. The little one isn't a flyer and it was missing! I put the two back in their cage, and searched for about an hour. I found her. She was taken by a cat and beheaded and gutted in my neighbors trees.
On that note, I came inside, cleaned out my 1 week old chicks box, and cried for a while. I blame myself and it will never happen again.
Later I decided to take a small break from studying and brought in my 18 babies. I let them roam but they are still sleepy heads. Then I noticed one was wheezing and very lethargic. I now have her inside in a box all alone and am begging for her to be okay. She doesn't have muck butt, but I noticed she is a little swollen and mushy in her tummy. I will watch her all night and see what happens. I wish I knew what was wrong with her and how to fix her.
My husband says, "you still have 19 if she doesn't make it."
I want to punch him today!

Thanks, it's been a VERY trying day. Especially since I'm supposed to be studying for midterms and finals! UGH!! Chicken life!
I can't wait until finals are over and I can focus time on keeping a healthy happy flock!

Back
Top Bottom