I'm gettig mites from my hens, YUCK.

cluckcluckluke

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
The Foothills Of Chickendom
Every time I come inside from the chickens I have these little things (I think mites) running all over me
barnie.gif
. They are really small but visible from the naked eye, they seem to have many different colours eg: black, clear, white, white and black. They have a round body like a very small tick but they run quite fast (not like a tick) and they don't jump. After about 20-30 mins they stop itching, so they either die or just jump off (they DO NOT live on me, luckily). But they are still really annoying.

It could be lice. Mites are normally red and not very fast. Look at the feather shaft near the skin by their vents and if there is a mass of white crusty stuff then that is a mass of lice eggs. Since you already dusted wait 7 days and dust again to kill whatever eggs hatch. If they are mites you will want to clean out the coop dispose of the litter ( not in compost) completely clean out and dust coop replace litter and redo in 7 days

I checked my hens today and the dust powder worked (TW) , I will repeat every week for 2 more weeks, they are not lice that are on my they are not long and clear-black like the one on my hens.
I am glad the powder worked. I just dusted mine the day before yesterday because I found lice. Nasty things. This time of year it is hard to control. You really only need to do it once again in 7 days. Unless you see them after the 2nd dusting there is no need for it. The less amount of chemical pesticide we put on our birds the healthy they will be.

I am glad the powder worked. I just dusted mine the day before yesterday because I found lice. Nasty things. This time of year it is hard to control. You really only need to do it once again in 7 days. Unless you see them after the 2nd dusting there is no need for it. The less amount of chemical pesticide we put on our birds the healthy they will be.
I'm not in the US, where I am is in the middle of summer. Yeah lice really annoy me. I will only do it 1 more now.
Thanks a load.

If you can, try burning some wood. Then after the ash is cool, dust your chickens. Make sure that it does not get in their eyes. I dusted my chickens 4 times with ash, starting right after I discovered mites or lice (don't know which) on my flock. Now they are starting to lay like a storm.

I prefer the natural remedies, like pumpkin seeds to prevent worms, and ash for mites and lice. It keeps them far away from the chemicals and stuff.

Last edited:
If you can, try burning some wood. Then after the ash is cool, dust your chickens. Make sure that it does not get in their eyes. I dusted my chickens 4 times with ash, starting right after I discovered mites or lice (don't know which) on my flock. Now they are starting to lay like a storm.

I prefer the natural remedies, like pumpkin seeds to prevent worms, and ash for mites and lice. It keeps them far away from the chemicals and stuff.
huh that's interesting I will try that next time perhaps, but how many times do you have to do that???

I live in Tassie, so naturally we have a wood fire. We empty the ash box onto the areas where we know they have their dust bath. They love it! And yes it really works. I find the Dusting powder to be quite nasty. Causes skin irritation, runny eyes, nose........if that's the effect it has on me, I wonder how the chickens feel about it. Panacur goat wormer not only kills intestinal worms, it will also prevent external parasites.

Back
Top Bottom