I'm getting a rooster

Feather queen

Songster
May 13, 2022
Nsw, Australia
I'm getting a 2-month-old splash silkie rooster this weekend and I have to Introduce him to my existing flock made up of two 1-year-old Isa browns and 2 silver spangled Hamburg pullets.
Is there anything I should be aware of with introducing all these different breeds?
And he has become aggressive to his flock even taking on the rooster.
What should I do?

Attachments

• 1653111163230.png
    1653111163230.png
    654.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 1653111189023.png
    1653111189023.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 1653111207357.png
    1653111207357.png
    4 MB · Views: 1
  • 1653111272754.png
    1653111272754.png
    529.1 KB · Views: 1
Typically roosters integrate well into the flock. Since Silkies are bantams and the rest are standards, there may, and likely will be some bossiness from the lead hens. Maybe more than normal since he's smaller, but maybe not.
Just keep and eye on everything and make sure he's not getting beat up. Pecking is normal, cornering him, or standing over him while he cowers as they peck and pull feathers is not.

Typically roosters integrate well into the flock. Since Silkies are bantams and the rest are standards, there may, and likely will be some bossiness from the lead hens. Maybe more than normal since he's smaller, but maybe not.
Just keep and eye on everything and make sure he's not getting beat up. Pecking is normal, cornering him, or standing over him while he cowers as they peck and pull feathers is not.
thank you, I will keep that in mind.

No, I don't have a rooster the 2-month-old splash silkie will be our first, what age does a silkie rooster mature?
He's a cockerel and it takes months before they mature. I would lock him in a large wire dog crate in a fully shaded area of the run and put food and water in there for him. He needs to start working on wooing the girls instead of just forcing them to submit to him. I'd keep him locked up for about 2 weeks at least.
You can try dropping a treat inside the crate with him and see what he does. A good boy will tidbit that treat to try to offer it to one of the girls. A selfish one who hasn't learned any manners will just eat it for himself.

He's a cockerel and it takes months before they mature. I would lock him in a large wire dog crate in a fully shaded area of the run and put food and water in there for him. He needs to start working on wooing the girls instead of just forcing them to submit to him. I'd keep him locked up for about 2 weeks at least.
You can try dropping a treat inside the crate with him and see what he does. A good boy will tidbit that treat to try to offer it to one of the girls. A selfish one who hasn't learned any manners will just eat it for himself.
thank you so much, this is greatly appreciated, I will try this.

Back
Top Bottom