I'm getting abuse from my contractor. I am learing.

I suspect this contractor is used to installing contractor grade material, and then, charging an arm and leg for a change order. The OP has to look at this stuff, from now until whenever, and has a right to pick whatever fixtures and grade of product she wants. If she's going to provide them, have them on site. If it's left up to the contractor, then establish a proper markup....Some contractors can't think past blow and go. If they can't do it with a nailgun, then they aren't going to do it.

You are right, there are talented contractors with good people skills, and there are even more mediocre contractors. And then there are really bad ones... truth is, a person being a contractor doesn't always tell you a lot about their skills or talent (or lack of).

It's not really possible to give an informed opinion on the situation since it's not clear exactly what was included in the contract. Having been a contractor my entire life and working closely with other contractors and customers, I've seen some "horror story contractors and horror story customers". Without more details it's impossible to make a call on what is going on and how to resolve it.
idunno.gif

If you are not happy with the work being done then you should pay up for what he has done and go your seperate ways. In many cases you pay a bit up front then either pay as you go along,or pay at the end. Come to an agreement and end the contract. There should be no need to keep things going. Be sure you have something written up for the final payment. You don't want him to put a lean on the house!

That would not surprise me, remodels are the worst, it is hard to design a contract for surprises. The fixtures and material should have been in the contract. He was most likely low bid or she "liked" him. Either way she DID hire him. I agree there are alot of crappy carpenters out there. That is why I do it myself if I can. Try to find a carpenter that knows what plywood is.

I suspect this contractor is used to installing contractor grade material, and then, charging an arm and leg for a change order. The OP has to look at this stuff, from now until whenever, and has a right to pick whatever fixtures and grade of product she wants. If she's going to provide them, have them on site. If it's left up to the contractor, then establish a proper markup....Some contractors can't think past blow and go. If they can't do it with a nailgun, then they aren't going to do it.

If you have insulation, a tight envelope (skin, exterior), and central air conditioning, in Florida, you TOTALLY NEED A VAPOR BARRIER.

If you do not have a vapor barrier, and you are cooling and dehumidifying the interior of your house in the summertime, you're sucking heat and humidity through your walls. Vapor barriers will stop the humidity, like insulation stops the heat. Once the humidity reaches a cool surface (backside of drywall?) it will condense. Condensation will lead to mold, rot, or both. A vapor barrier on the WARM SIDE of the wall assembly will prevent the moisture from condensing in a place you don't want it.

The problem will be repairing or applying a vapor barrier to a wall that already exists.

From the outside, the layers of a typical brick veneer wall assembly are: Brick, VOID (MUST REMAIN CLEAR, usually 1" - 2" airspace, should be free of mortar slop), vapor barrier, plywood sheathing, studs/insulation, drywall.

In this condition, the humidity will move through the porous brick, condense on the vapor barrier in the void, and roll down the wall. At the bottom of the wall, flashing will direct the condensed water to the weepholes in the brick (you have weepholes, right?), where it will dribble back outside. Provided you've not got a lot of mortar slop in the void, which prevents the water moving back outside and keeps it trapped in the wall.

If your contractor isn't willing to have a reasonable discussion with you, or to effect change orders to your satisfaction (upgrading door handles, plumbing fixtures, etc), you need to fire him. I've been in the industry for years, and the first time I hired a contractor I did it all wrong. It's easy to screw up. I'm still fighting with my plumber, who has told me I'm a bitchy pain in the *** and have "no business snooping around in the plumbing codes".

Things to google: "Rain Screen" "Vapor Drive" "Brick Veneer Wall Assembly" "Hot Humid Climate"

Last edited:
That would not surprise me, remodels are the worst, it is hard to design a contract for surprises. The fixtures and material should have been in the contract. He was most likely low bid or she "liked" him. Either way she DID hire him. I agree there are alot of crappy carpenters out there. That is why I do it myself if I can. Try to find a carpenter that knows what plywood is.

In Oregon we have the Construction Contractors Board and a bond is required and the consumer has the right to go after the bond for crappy work... not crappy material unless the contract states such and such product is to be used like plywood over wafer board or particle board. Contracts, contracts, contracts are the saviong grace for the consumer. Is florida a right to work state?

He was recommended by several people I know. I did and do like him-I wouldn't choose to work with someone I didn't like. We are not firing him! We are honoring our agreement!

For the next time I need to learn how to do better on picking contractors. There is no way I would ever try to be a contractor. I have no experience, knowledge, insurance or license. We won't pick someone that does just builder's grade again. He told us we had to pick the appliances like that was a bad thing. That has gone the smoothest! They are to his specs, in storage and we emailed him the schematics. We did not read between the lines to realize that the appliances were the only thing we could pick. A big mistake on our part. We had no idea it would be that way. Naive.

We paid half up front then the rest is due when he finishes.

It scares me to post the contract here. I will consider it. Most of our problems are coming from things that were never answered and spelled out. He put in builder's grade everything so far. When we say we told you what we wanted before you started he says he doesn't remember! He did ask for a change order then backed down. Why? Because he and my husband wanted LED lighting and I said normal is fine. We paid $3K extra and he dropped the change order.

He admitted that he prefers new construction but does have plenty of experience remodeling.

The other things that we picked, the farm sink and struts and the kitchen hardware. All labeled in boxes ready to go. In fact, the sink was delivered to his office at his request. Those are the only things that we got to pick. I would like to pick out the kitchen faucet. He offered brushed stainless steel or nickel finish. We are asking for more than he is accustomed to. He mentions it, "None of my other customers have a farm sink. It's so expensive!" Thing is we paid for all these things separate, above and beyond the contract.

I find myself asking him what is happening today? and What's next a lot.

Yeh, I would not suggest posting the actual contract.
smile.png

Unless specific upgraded materials are noted on the contract, using standard materials (giving a color choice where applicable) is routine. It's neither good or bad, just the most economical choice for many people that are on a tighter budget.

If someone later decides they want an upgrade it's usually not an issue because there's an upcharge for it but it can cause time delays...but if a materials change will create a design change, then that will add more time and perhaps a need for different materials or other work that was not originally included, and of course more added costs.

Unless the contractor just wants to fulfill his contracted obligation as quickly as possible just to get away from the whole thing, I'm not sure why a faucet upgrade with an upcharge would be a big deal...unless the faucets require changes at the sinks and the added costs are balked at. Some sinks require that cabinets be altered and so on. I dunno, sounds like the contractor thought he was bidding an entire job with fairly standard replacement items and now is having to itemize for more custom work and tack-on costs for each additional change, when a custom job usually is not estimated that way.

Good luck with what's left to do and I hope it all works out smoothly for you on your next project, having every detail and specific materials and costs listed in the contract.

simple solution. FIRE HIM. WHY?? its not his house! its YOURS. Doesnt matter what the contractor likes... its what YOU like. If hes trying to be bossy and tell you what to do there is usualy a reason... AKA: He only knows how to do things one way... or hes trying to hide the fact that hes done things wrong. Get his work double checked.

Back
Top Bottom