I'm getting cold feet

hugs.gif
and go for it...... am sure you will neve feel any regrets...

I just wanted to say thank you to you and your family for putting up with so much of the "moving around" before now so that the rest of us could be safe. I have nothing but the highest respect for our nation's military.

Good luck with your new home! You've gotten some great advice in this thread.

been there, done that, bought the t-shirt...it took a while to realize I did not have to stay packed and ready to go...it took a while to stop sorting through every little thing as to keep or not...it took a while to think in terms of friends being more than temporary...I could have a dog that I would not have to leave behind or go through hell to get into another country...and now that my son has 22 years in the Army and just blew through here for a month on the way from there to another temporary there, it reminded me once again of all of that...I love being in one place...I have been here longer than I have ever been anywhere and I think I have roots deep into the earth here...and I have stuff I can keep...animals I can keep...you will love it...eventually I had a celebratory bonfire upon which I threw my well used luggage...just keep telling yourself, "I am home." My best to you and thank you for your service and sacrifices...

I have a ten acre farm, and wouldnt live any other way. In fact I love it so much that I dont hardly ever leave. Ever. I used to travel a lot, moving from place to place; (I was a military wife for a while) was finally able to get this place about 10 years ago. It was nothing but a peanut field when I got it, so every stick, every tree, every bush, every fence post....I put in (or friends put in).

Farms are a lot of work....a LOT. Theres always things that need to be fixed, always grass to mow, gardens to tend, animals to feed. Its taken me this long to realize (and feeding the animals is excepted), that you will NEVER EVER complete a day with everything being done. Ever. So the sooner you realize this and stop stressing over it, the more you will really really enjoy your farm. Take time to sit back and enjoy it, enjoy the landscape, the animals, the beauty of it. And dont stress over what didnt get done today, theres always tomorrow.

It will be ok! I wish I were in your position right now! For 3 yrs we lived on 10 wonderful acres and enjoyed raising calves, chickens and a big garden. Now we are sitting in a lodging facility waiting to move into our tiny multiplex with a postage stamp yard. I am sure you will ask yourselves many times "what have we gotten ourselves into?" but it will be worth it. My DH will have 13yrs in the Marine Corps at the end of this month and I have to tell myself not to start counting down the days until we can settle down just as you are doing now. Enjoy it, you have earned it!

I grew up in the military. Both sides of my family were military ( Army, and Navy). All of them, including Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, Cousins, and even nieces and nephews. We moved around a lot, including to different Countries.

Some of my family owned houses while they were still in, and we called that home base. Some didn't. When my father retired, he felt the same way you did. He was nervous, and didn't know where to plant his feet. He finally went back to his home State, and hasn't regretted it since.
My grandfather took a little while to figure out where he wanted to be. At first he bought a house in Myrtle Beach, but he HATED snakes. After finding a copper head in his hallway, and I think there were coral snakes in his back yard. He sold the house, and moved to Maine. He's been there ever since.
So, wherever you choose to plant your feet, just take it slow. You'll find the right place, and love it.
smile.png

Bluemoon

Sorry, I forgot to say in my original post we are moving to Bonifay Florida. Duckwalk you described my feelings very well. Thanks for all your kind words for my hubby's service in the Army. Truth is the transition will probably be harder for him. He was an Army brat before joining 25 yrs ago, it is all he knows.

Maybe you could think of the farm as your home base and be ready for weekend adventures if he gets restless. You live there, but you need not feel stuck. Especially in the South, where there's a bunch of stuff to see and do within easy day trip distance. It's so nice to not have to move every couple of years!

My husband isn't military, but his job requires him to move every few months. Next year our son starts school, though, so we've been gradually making the transition to staying in one place and we bough a house. Most of the time I love being settled and having a garden and chickens but I have to admit that every now and then I get a little restless. In Fall I yearn for Manhattan and the mild winters here makes me miss the real snows up North. All in all, though, I'm happy. It takes some getting used to, but being in one place can be an adventure all its own.

Back
Top Bottom