I'm getting coturnix - Update w/pics...

Quote:
I put mine out at 4 weeks old when the temperature is 5 celcius at night and they are fine.

and re becoming obsessed...it is only the beginning...
thumbsup.gif
good luck. I myself just can't stop hatching eggs though I am slowly getting tired of it. I have tried japanese quail, bobwhite and chicken. tonight I will try to incubate my first lot of duck eggs.

Quote:
I put mine out at 4 weeks old when the temperature is 5 celcius at night and they are fine.

and re becoming obsessed...it is only the beginning...
thumbsup.gif
good luck. I myself just can't stop hatching eggs though I am slowly getting tired of it. I have tried japanese quail, bobwhite and chicken. tonight I will try to incubate my first lot of duck eggs.

You sound like me, adicted to hatching, but getting tired of it. Not so much tired of hatching, it's tired of cleaning brooders, and filling 10-15 feeders, and changing/washing waterers, the fun never ends
th.gif

Takes me about an hour each morning, IF I don't have to do anything extra. Then a check on them quickly before going to work at 1:30. Then another feeding and watering at 7:30 when I get home.

Ok, I picked them up today and here they are....The guy that was selling them had them in a drafty barn with a heat lamp and said they could go outside when they are fully feathered? (so maybe 8 weeks?) It was really funny when he started grabbing the quail. He just grabbed handfuls at a time and them dropped them into a bucket. After he grabbed them all he walked over to the box and dumped them in...so I guess babies are more hardy than I thought
big_smile.png

Anyways....he called these Tibetans and said they are the same thing as coturnix? But also said that one of them was a texas quail? I'll have to search that, I'm not familiar with those.

Here are a few pics of the little guys:

0001_quail.jpg

0002_quail.jpg

0003_quail.jpg

0004_quail.jpg

This one looks really different than the rest of them too. He is much darker without the yellow belly...is this one the same?

0008_quail.jpg

0006_quail.jpg

This guy here is the one that he called a texas quail:

0011_quail.jpg

And this little guy here has something going on with his feet...they are all curled up even when he is walking...Do I give him a chance or put him out of his misery?

0009_quail.jpg

0010_quail.jpg

There were supposed to be 15 but I think there were a few extras...I counted 18 a little bit ago, but I might need to count again when they are all asleep and not moving
tongue.png

Quote:
Apparently the guy didn't know what he was talking about. Most all of those chicks are either normal or jumbo browns. The one that looks very different (dark) is a tibetan, and the one that he said was a texas quail looks like a golden. If that one has stripes on it's back it is, if it has a few spots on its head or back, it's a texas A&M. The top of the head looks striped.

They are all coturnix, so at least the guy had that part right.

The one with the curled foot can easily be fixed, but I would wonder if it's a breeding or a hatching problem. Either way, if you want to fix it, you can either gently stretch the toes 3 or more times a day, or you can make a 'boot' for the foot. Do a search on here for chick boots and you should be able to find picks. Basically it's a piece of something 'stiff' (credit card, cardboard, etc.) that you tape to the bottom of the foot to keep the toes straight.

Thanks Shelley for the foot information, I figured I would just have to cull him. I tried making a boot today, but only had double-sided tape and so one foot ended up stuck to the other one
roll.png
I will try again when I have the right tape!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom