I'm getting coturnix - Update w/pics...

chicksngoats

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
I found a local lady on CL that has Jumbo coturnix that are 3 days old for only $.75 each...so I'm thinking of picking up some. I have a friend's aquarium that I'm gong to use and have to go search for my heat lamp. Other than that, I think I'm all ready, just need to stop and get the game bird feed. I've read the quail article sticky...so is there any thing else that I should know before I go pick them up? Any advice on how to hide them from my hubby
gig.gif

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah...no way I can keep it a secret, but I am feeling a bit guilty between this splurge, the incubator I'm trying to get and the 2 dozen silkie eggs I'm waiting on
smile.png

I've become obsessed!

Oh I remember the main thing I was going to ask...how long do they need to be kept inside in the aquarium? and how long will I need to keep the heat lamp on them when they move outside? It's starting to get colder and wetter around here and I can't remember what I read about Coturnix hardiness.

Thanks!

I think that Nikki (the guru) recommended that young birds not be left out for the winter until they've gone through a full molt and acclimated to the outdoors.

Mine are 7 weeks old and I don't think they have enough fat on them to be outside during this Canadian winter...I have them in the garage where it is insulated and protected from the elements. But my 13 week old girls went through their fall molt and don't seem nearly as effected by the elements as the younger ones.

I hope someone with more experience pops in for you.

Edit to correct attrocious spelling.

Last edited:
oh no...I hope its not that long! Not sure my husband is going to be thrilled with keeping them in the garage all winter...right along side of the silkies I'm going to be hatching in a couple of weeks
big_smile.png

I keep my babies in the house over the winter, but I believe monarc23 said that they can be moved outside after 6 or 7 weeks old? She lives in PA, and I don't think she'd even put a light on them. Of course that depends on the outside temps, you wouldn't want to move them when it's 20 degrees outside.
big_smile.png

I'm in the Pacific NW, so it doesn't get super cold around here. Might hit freezing once & awhile, but rarely dips below that. Guess I'll just keep an eye on the temps and see. If anyone has experience putting them outside when they are younger (and you don't live in Florida or California
smile.png
) I'd love to hear your experience.

Thanks!
Christina

Oh yeah...forgot to mention that our garage is detached and not insulated so really not going to be much help there. It will be the same temp inside as outside. Hmm, I hope I didn't make a big mistake!

Back
Top Bottom