I'm getting ducklings!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by old mill poultry, Mar 25, 2009.

1. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I put in an order for ducklings awhile ago and just got notified they will be coming to arrive june 19. I know a while to wait. I got some buffs, khaki campbells and swedish non crested(total of 15). I love baby ducks!

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    And I'm starting to hate them! I hatched 2 ducks along with my chicks and they make the biggest mess in the brooder! I'm having to change the water, and sometimes the bedding, multiple times a day because they splash water everywhere.

I've got 10 more mallard eggs in the incubator, and I'm not looking forward to them hatching. Sure wish someone would come up with a duck-proof brooder!

Kathy in Texas
    www.CountryChickens.com

3. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I recently got Ducklings and someone on BYC recommended useing a milk jug for water.
    I took a milk jug and cut holes just big enough for their heads to go through.
    It has really worked great they no longer make quite the mess they did.[​IMG]

4. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I've had ducklings before and yes they are messy lil things.

5. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    i think that the milk jug idea would work because they cant knock it over nor can they get their bodies in there to play and splash around

6. Feathered Wings

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    When i got them i just had a regular water for them they splashed it all out in 30 minutes [​IMG]
    But with the milk Jug they are never out of water now. I do have to rinse it out about 3 times a day because they get food in it.

But it has really worked good for me [​IMG]

I love my little Ducks [​IMG]

7. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    We had the same messiness problem with our duckies when we first got some. When we moved them out to their duck house I was constantly having to clean it out because of the mess they would make with their water overnight. About 6 months into this, I mentioned this to my father on the phone. My father (being a farmer and a wise man), said "Well, why don't you just take the water out overnight? (the ducks free ranged during the day.)" Duh.
    My father is a brilliant man.
    No more mess in the duck house.
    [​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The milk jug works and so does placing a tray of some sort under their water dish so it doesn't go everywhere. I am using an old quiche pan [​IMG]

9. Feathered Wings

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Okay mine are still under a light when can i remove the light?

Can i put them in a larger pen i have a pen with a light in the enclosed back and a wire run out front??

10. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:How old are they? Ducks don't need as much heat for as long as chicks do - I put mine outside in a coop (with night time heat lamp, cause it was cold still) at Two weeks old - they've done fine (messy but fine).

I notice you're in GA - I'm up in south central KY and our night time temps are warm enough (45-ish) that I would think they'd be ok after a couple of weeks with just a lamp at night.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by