I'm getting ducklings!

old mill poultry

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
I put in an order for ducklings awhile ago and just got notified they will be coming to arrive june 19. I know a while to wait. I got some buffs, khaki campbells and swedish non crested(total of 15). I love baby ducks!

And I'm starting to hate them! I hatched 2 ducks along with my chicks and they make the biggest mess in the brooder! I'm having to change the water, and sometimes the bedding, multiple times a day because they splash water everywhere.

I've got 10 more mallard eggs in the incubator, and I'm not looking forward to them hatching. Sure wish someone would come up with a duck-proof brooder!

Kathy in Texas
www.CountryChickens.com

I recently got Ducklings and someone on BYC recommended useing a milk jug for water.
I took a milk jug and cut holes just big enough for their heads to go through.
It has really worked great they no longer make quite the mess they did.
thumbsup.gif

When i got them i just had a regular water for them they splashed it all out in 30 minutes
ep.gif

But with the milk Jug they are never out of water now. I do have to rinse it out about 3 times a day because they get food in it.

But it has really worked good for me
thumbsup.gif

I love my little Ducks
love.gif

We had the same messiness problem with our duckies when we first got some. When we moved them out to their duck house I was constantly having to clean it out because of the mess they would make with their water overnight. About 6 months into this, I mentioned this to my father on the phone. My father (being a farmer and a wise man), said "Well, why don't you just take the water out overnight? (the ducks free ranged during the day.)" Duh.
My father is a brilliant man.
No more mess in the duck house.
lol.png

The milk jug works and so does placing a tray of some sort under their water dish so it doesn't go everywhere. I am using an old quiche pan
tongue.png

Okay mine are still under a light when can i remove the light?

Can i put them in a larger pen i have a pen with a light in the enclosed back and a wire run out front??

Quote:
How old are they? Ducks don't need as much heat for as long as chicks do - I put mine outside in a coop (with night time heat lamp, cause it was cold still) at Two weeks old - they've done fine (messy but fine).

I notice you're in GA - I'm up in south central KY and our night time temps are warm enough (45-ish) that I would think they'd be ok after a couple of weeks with just a lamp at night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom