I'm getting negative feedback about getting chickens!

Bad advice about shooting hawks with BB guns or anything for that matter. Use deterrents and accept that there might be a loss every now and then. Mess with the hawks and you will potentially mess with the Feds; they will win and you will suffer greatly.

Thank you all so much! I knew I could count on you guys to pull me back up!!! What wonderful, positive people and advise. Just the response brought a tear to my eye- you're all so kind to take the time and relay your stories. Ive read every word! Thanks again! I can't wait!

I got that response, too, mainly from my best friend. Now that she's seen my chickens and my coops, she has completely changed her attitude about them. Most folks are thinking of the huge commercial operations, not a well-managed backyard flock.

One other possible response you'll get from the naysayers.....Once you start getting eggs, I wouldn't even offer them any....they will say "Oh they have Salmonella", or "They aren't as big as store bought", or "Oh they are brown, what's wrong with them are they rotten." Negative people don't change. When they see how successful you are with getting nice fresh eggs, there will still be something wrong with them!!
tongue.gif

Save yourself the pain and just enjoy them yourself and/or share with the friends and family who are happy for you and appreciate the great eggs!!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
lol.png
When I had one hen, a Leghorn, her eggs wouldn't FIT in a commercial egg carton! And, this isn't even a GIANT Breed!!!
Ignorant city folks--THEY can go live on the future colony on the moon...WITHOUT chickens!!
lol.png

There are pros & cons to most any endeavor. Only you can decide what's right for you. yes caring for chickens or any livestock is an obligation that at times may conflict with other activities. We've decided that having our various animals is more valuable to us than the freedom to always come & go as we please.
Chickens [or other livestock] will attract vermin. Good husbandry minimizes the impact of this.
As to your concern about egg bound hens let me assure you that's a rare occurance. I've kept poultry for nearly 50 years and I couldn't guess how many thousand birds have come & gone. I've only ever had one egg bound hen. In healthy, well bred birds it rarely occurs.
It's not all fun. On some below zero February mornings it can feel like the world's worst hobby. Cleaning the coops is no picnic either. That said, watching a group of pullets in perfect feather out on the grass is a pretty sight. The fresh eggs are good too, but believe me when I tell you they won't be cheaper than the ones from the store.

Keeping chickens is just like anything else. You may or may not run into some of the problems that concern you. What the naysayers aren't telling you is that you will be able to deal with it if it happens and learn from the experience. I have kept chickens for over 25 years. Never had one eggbound. Had my first major disease outbreak last year because we had moved to an area where fowlpox is more prevelent and there are more chickens. No big deal, now i vaccinate for it (and a few other things just in case). There are waayyy more rewards than hardships involved with chicken keeping. I can look out at my layer flock right now happily grazing on nettles. They are healthy and contented and I know that keeping my own flocks is the right thing to do for our family. You will probably enjoy chicken keeping, and I suggest you try it. Most people who visit my place remark on how clean the eggs and birds are, and how friendly. They are usually really impressed and then they start asking if I sell eggs. (Or birds because now they want a home flock)

hi karen:
i am new to chicken keeping since july 09.
like you i was doubtful how this would work out.
i just love my 4 chickens (thats all i can have in my city) and wish i could have more. the eggs are wonderful . i will never regret getting chickens and this is a city girl speaking. lol
plus they are truly not much work and do not smell with proper care.
dogs are more work and costly.
this site has been a huge help to me and i am thankful for all the information offered here.

you go girl and have fun.
welcome-byc.gif

I am new with chickens in a way. First time I have them on my own, but my Grandpaw always had chickens, my Grandmaw liked the eggs. So I just know from what I can remember when I was little. I love my chickens and people who say those things are just weirdo's that must not like animals in-general! But they all want the eggs when they start coming.

Ignore the naysayers. They don't know what they are talking about.
I grew up with chickens, and got them again, as an adult early last spring. Like many others, I wish I had gotten them years ago. There are so many breeds, coop plans, accessories, etc. to choose from, so much information available on what works best, what the general temperament is for different breeds, etc. It makes for a wonderful experience.
Research well. Consider carefully. Plan accordingly, and enjoy your new fuzzbutts! I don't think you will be sorry.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom