I'm giving up for now, hatches are just not meant to be

Thanks! I candled Whitie's eggs, it looks like 4 may have survived, I'm hoping. I thought they'd been in longer but they just went in on the 19th, so maybe they will make it. Charlotte's eggs didn't show too much, so I might have lost them, she's got 10 eggs in her nest again though, so I can grab them if needed. The quail I can't tell, I'll know in about 10 days on them.

The most important thing to do if your bator loses power is to continue turning the eggs. Keep them as warm as possible but from a cellular point they have to experience the movement of being turned. Sitting still is the worse thing a fertile egg can experience if it is to be incubated.

Inside the shell your babies are going to cool and slow. You will see less movement and suspect they have perished but you really can't make that call. My incubators were out for over 19 hours during a stormy 2-day weather pattern. I candled the eggs and there was no movement. As I slowly (and I mean slowly) brought the temp back they became more active. I did lose a few but only 6 out of 27. The few that I lost were most likely because of my opening the incubator to hand turn during the time the electricity was out. During that time there was no humidity control.

Being there was a rainstorm the air contained a great deal of humidity AND it was cool which is a BIG hardship for poultry INSIDE and OUTSIDE of an egg. We already know the best thing we can do for our birds to keep them healthy is give them a dry place to go. The same goes for the peeps. For the highest yield on peeps they have to have good food, Clean surroundings and reasonably warm, DRY bedding.

Keep up your hopes and whatever you do, don't let those eggs sit still. Gently turn them 4 to 5 times each day. As long as you bring the heat up slowly within 24 hours it should not affect your hatch much if you keep care of turning the eggs and keep them from experiencing too much moisture while they are cool. If it goes much past that then worry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom