I'm going broody too! :) Candling update post 57 on pg 6

I use both my 5 gal fishtanks as brooder since we no longer need them for my hubby's fish hobby..My hubby went on to a 55 gal fishtank... and I also use those big clear plastic tubs so the chicks can see who is coming in without being scared of noises..

Fishtanks make great small brooders. You just have to be careful not to use too high of wattage bulb, which can overheat them. If you set it up before adding chicks and monitor temp, you should be fine. A little screen on top for ventilation and you're set.

Mine are in and due on 2/15.
woot.gif
Did I say how excited I am for these babies!
wee.gif

Jody I can't wait to see the chicks!!!! You have soo many projects that I can only dream of lol
big_smile.png

GOOD LUCK
thumbsup.gif
jumpy.gif
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I use a 75 gallon and a 30 gallon for two of my brooders right now since the garage is too cold to brood them in the Brower Brooder out there. I haven't had any problems using the aquariums. I have a 150 watt bulb over the larger one. I do have screens on them and if the temps get too cool I just put a board over half of it.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Jody! I can't wait to see what the chicks from Mr. Speckles on those black hens look like. I have chicks from crossing the opposite way in my brooder right now.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom