I'm going crazy! Young rooster crows for hours! Help!

Back2MyRoots

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Auburn, Alabama
We have a young rooster that is about 6 months old now. He started crowing somewhere around 2 months ago and it would be two or three crows after sunrise and then he would shut up for the day. But within the last few weeks, he has literally started crowing around 5:30 or 6:00 and continues sporadically, sometimes until 10:00. This morning he started at 6:05 and crowed, nonstop til 7:07---then off and on until just before 10:00! (Shouldn't he lose his voice or something from hollering so much?!?)

I can't take it any more. I want to either eat him or haul him off to auction! However my husband adores him. He is a big handsome fellow with a very mellow disposition. (But I am on the edge of sleep deprivation melt-down!) The husband keeps trying to convince me that as he gets older and matures, it will settle down, but I think it's getting worse, not better. I haven't had a rooster since I was a small child and then they were on the back side of the property away from the house. I don't remember them hollering like this.

So which is it? Is he doomed to be a thorn in my side forever? Or will he grown out of it in the near future? Your advice will decide his fate!

Get a poultice, he will remain a thorn. Vocalization may very well increase as daylength increases - tie in to increased testosterone production.
hide.gif

chicken soup anyone?

Last edited:
hi,
i had one just like that ! horrible.. he never shut up- and it never got better.
so i exchanged him for a Hen :)
good luck on this one

my roster whom we renamed Frank, crows mostly in the morning, by afternoon he seems to be to busy taking care of his ladies while they are all free ranging in differnet directions...:) Even when i keep them all penned up by noon he seems to not crow to much, maybe once an hour or two... He usually starts about 6 am when he hears me outside the coop putting fresh water out and opening up the coop for them ( even though its still pretty dark, he's an early riser) He then seems to crow at everything or everyone as my daughter heads off to the bus..:) im beginning to think hes a guard chicken as well:) after everyone seems to have left or things seattle back down, hes usually crowing about once an hour, till afternoon like i said..

If your coop has windows letting in a bunch of light, that's probably triggering him to sound off early. Some curtains would most likely help. You could also stack some bales of hay against the wall closest to your house to help insulate against the sound.
Nikki

Back
Top Bottom