I'm going to be a redheaded stepchild

rooster-red

Here comes the Rooster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2007
Douglasville GA
Quite literally.

My Mom called me today to tell me that She is going to marry her boyfriend.

My Dad passed 6 years ago.

I personaly am not real fond of this guy, but he makes my Mom happy, she gets out and travels with him a lot, they take cruises, etc..., he treats her welland knows what would happen if he were to get even verbally abussive to her (the Rooster would come home to "visit"), so if it makes her happy to marry him, then I'm all for it.

At age 44 i'm going to have step siblings.
Don't know how to react to that one. I know very little about these people.

Anybody have a similar situation come up?

nope. it is kindof weird!!! My mom has been married 5 times. i was a minor 4 of the marriages, I hated all her husbands. At least you don't have to live with them. good luck!

Coming up? No. Already been through it though. My dad has been married 4 times
barnie.gif

My husband and I got "stepdads" after we were grown...we don't call them that. They're our moms' husbands. Stepbrothers and sisters are kinda cool...I had no problem referring to new siblings like that.
But I drew the line at stepdad...he never stepped in and took a dad role.
Love him, but he's mom's husband.

That's our house.

Last edited:
my DH family is blended with 3 children on his mothers side and 2 children on his step fathers side,all are grown. I have never seen a closer family. I had 3 children when DH and I got married and they all reached out and scooped us into the fold. His stepfather has since died and this family has continued to be just as close. still have all family gatherings together. Just total acceptance!

Oh, and kudos to Red for accepting and welcoming the guy as your mom's new husband. It's rare that folks set aside personal opinions for another's happiness.

Quote:
ditto,,,,, nice goin RR
wink.png

not many "children" ( even us OLD ones) realize its their ( moms or dads) relationship,,, not yours,,,lol
and as long as he knows,, you'll come for a "visit" if needed, and your respecting your mothers feelings,,, then all is coolies
wink.png

You have a good attitude RR, as long as your mom is happy and the guy treats her right, and you keep an eye out for her, at a distance of course, it all sounds good.
smile.png

I've been a step mom since I was 19. I had it easy though, cause the 2 kids lived with their mom. I got to know them better when they moved closer to DH & I, now we're very close and spend holidays and vacations together. The daughter is 40 now and the son is 38.

And no, I'm not that
old.gif

Humor. I asked my new step-brother if he was up to the task of defending me from bullies on the playground. He was in his 40's, I was 24. We really only cross paths once in a while but after his dad passed away he made a point to call me and let me know that he would still be up for bully-duty. The extended family after 20 is not so bad. You usually only see each other at defined events where everyone is on their good behavior and you might just get lucky and find out that you like these people and they become more like friends. It doesn't get ugly unless money and inheritance issues creep up later on. Then it can get really ugly.

Back
Top Bottom