I'm going to have to cull one of the rabbits I rescued *update post 9*

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
She wasn't really doing well in the coop (lost weight and pretty timid) and I was letting her out of her cage at night to stretch her legs and explore the coop. I went out this morning to put her back in her cage and let the chickens out. She was dragging her back legs (they were off to the side of her). I think she broke her back jumping off of something or running around. There wasn't anything knocked over. I put her in the smallest cage I have and she was eating and drinking. I was honestly hoping she was just stunned, but I think I'm going to have to cull her.
sad.png
I've never had to cull one of the animals before.

I know she was just a stray and she never really warmed up to me but I hate having to do this.

Last edited:
Sorry you are going to have to put her down
sad.png
that is hard, especially when it's the last thing you think of having to do.
hugs.gif
I butcher rabbits regularly and if you need some tips on how to proceed please feel free to ask.

Quote:
Thanks, I was thinking of starting to raise meat rabbits and I was planning on using the strays I found as breeders. I honestly didn't know if I could cull her and process her (she's kinda skinny) or if I should just cull her and bury her.

How would you consider culling her? I just want it to be quick.

If she seems sickly I wouldn't eat the meat. However for a rabbit that just broke its back I would. I always shoot them when I butcher, I use a .22 right in the back of their heads, between and slightly below the ears.

Glad I don't cull her yet. Today she is using her hind quarter. She is slow but is up and about. She is still eating and drinking so hopefully she will be fine.

I'm glad she's feeling a little bit better. I wish her a speedy recovery
hugs.gif

So since the rabbit was eating and drinking and not appearing in pain I decided to give it some time. Today I'm happy today she was up on her back paws and greeted me with her little nose pushed up against the cage. She still has a big lump on her back, but is getting around much better. So I'm going to give it some more time and hopefully she'll be just fine.

If she is losing weight, she has some sort of health issue Have you dewormed her?

If it is not worms, have you checked her teeth? If not worms or teeth, she is probably on her way out. Old age? Cancer? It's not in a rabbit's nature to be skinny.

Back
Top Bottom