1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm going to surprise the DGF this spring and plant 95 tulip bulbs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by backdoorchicken, Sep 23, 2009.

1. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    the last time i did this moles ate every last one of them. this time i want to line the bottom of the 2 beds with chicken wire. do you think that will help?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Moles eat grubs and worms, not tulip bulbs. My guess is that your problem is actually voles, a mouse-like animal.

If the holes in the wire are small enough, seems like would help until it rusts away. You might do some research on voles to see it you think that is the real culprit and see what measures you think might work for you. To be honest, I'm not that familiar with them.

I can't grow tulips without serious effort. The deer seem to love them and keep them eaten down.

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Rabbits ate mine at ground level so I put rocks around them and they bloomed at ground level..also had a problem with moles! I will plant tomatoes this year cause my grandson is hooked on cherry toms..he is 16 months old and will take off around the side of the house towards the tomatoes saying Eat Eat! lol!

4. backdoorchicken

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    yeah voles are probably the culprit. i put them in the same group as moles.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, deer and squirrels eat tulip bulbs, but not daffodils!! Try planting them both together because if the critters try the daffs first, they'll be discouraged from trying more, thus some of the tulips will survive and she’ll have a variety of blooms! It sounds like she’ll have a beautiful surprise next spring.

6. backdoorchicken

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    i did a little research and found out that chicken wire will work but hardware cloth works better. the life expectancy of the hardware cloth being underground is about 15 years.

they said oyster shells can help also.

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Use the hardware cloth. Here I use pots to keep them looking good, but we don't chill so i have to dig them out, chill in the fridge over fall and repland in december to get flowers the next year.

8. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Not sure of your zone but here it is better to plant them in the fall you might want to check that out.

9. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I have never had issues with anything digging my bulbs up or eating them.

However, YOU ARE WONDERFUL IMO I would love to get that as a gift!!!!!!!!!!! Brownie points for you [​IMG]

I plant my bulbs in the fall for spring.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  10. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

What a clever idea with the hardware cloth! You'll have to post pictures, sounds like that flower bed will be breath taking!

Quote:now that's dedicated gardening!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by