I'm going to try to get my buff orp to go broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bryan8, Oct 26, 2009.

1. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    How many eggs do you think I can put under her? I want to try hatching some runner eggs if I can find them, or some chicken eggs and lettting her raise them.

Thanks

~Bryan

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Start with a herd - 10-15 golf balls and see if she'd go for it BEFORE you get/buy eggs or next you'll be buying an incubator. You can try wine and chocolates and romantic music but it rarely helps.

3. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    You can try wine and chocolates and romantic music but it rarely helps.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Its always best to put some gold balls, or fake eggs under her before you get the eggs, as walkswithdog said. It helps make them go broody and ensures they go broody.

You could probably fit 10-ish eggs under her (chicken) but go for 6-8 to be sure. I'm not sure about the size of runners (are these ducks?) as I have never kept them.

Good luck [​IMG]

eggsrcool [​IMG]

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    At this time of year, when it is getting cold for new chicks, I would wait until she goes broody naturally. Hens do seem to go broody at odd times of the year, so if she goes broody by herself you could put eggs under her, but I wouldn't encourage it at a time of year when it will be hardest for the new chicks to survive.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Make her go broody? I've never heard that you could make a hen broody. How do you do that? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by