I'm growing a lemon 🍋 tree🌳! do y'all want updates?

Should I update y'all on my lemon plant progress?

• Yes!

Votes: 34 94.4%
  • no thanks

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
If I had a large run I would have put those fruit trees in there for shade and fruit for the chickens. Well they'll probably eat all the flowers. Ah well.
:lol:

Good idea. Maybe when it grows to full size. Although I don't know if it would do well during winter in MA. Sometimes it gets below -5 F, but the average temp in winter here is just near freezing (32F)

Regardless of how many votes, I think I will still do the updates.
15+ votes will assure that I am consistent with updates, and I will post at least one update per week.

But I will do some updates.
here is what it looks like

.. according to the iphone measuring app, the pot is 5.5 inches tall.
IMG_5771.PNG

Good luck with your project. I mean that. I love seeing people doing things that are labelled impossible.
Things to consider: The trees will have to be wintered inside. Most citrus cannot tolerate freezing temps and some can be harmed by a little frost. There are varieties that can tolerate temps down to 20 degrees. I just lost about 15 trees to a 17 degree, 2 day freeze. Some were in the ground for over 20 yrs and a lot of them were labelled "cold hardy". Also I'm in zone 9A. I'm startin all over now. Also be aware that most citrus varieties are grown (grafted onto) on a hardy rootstock. That means they can withstand colder temps but their seeds probably will not grow true to the parent tree. So prep your mind for inferior fruit. One variety to try is Meyer lemon(if you can find it locally) which has proven to grow true from seed.
Also prepare yourself, and it sounds as if you may have, To grow in pots so they can be moved indoors during cold weather. That will take big pots eventually, meaning hard to move.
Another thing to consider is Wicking pots for when they need to be set in the bigger pots. Plenty of info on Youtube and other sources. They provide a steadier source of water and an air pruning of the roots if done correctly. That means a lot less root pruning in the pots in the future.
Good luck in your endeavor!

Last edited:
Good luck with your project. I mean that. I love seeing people doing things that are labelled impossible. The trees will have to be wintered inside. Most citrus cannot tolerate freezing temps and some can be harmed by a little frost. There are varieties that can tolerate temps down to 20 degrees. I just lost about 15 trees to a 17 degree, 2 day freeze. Some were in the ground for over 20 yrs. I'm startin all over now. Also be aware that most citrus varieties are grown (grafted onto) on a hardy rootstock. That means their seeds probably will not grow true to the parent tree. So prep your mind for inferior fruit. One variety to try is Meyer lemon which has proven to grow true from seed.
Also prepare yourself, and it sounds as if you may have, To grow in pots so they can be moved indoors during cold weather. That will take big pots eventually, meaning hard to move.
Another thing to consider is Wicking pots for when they need to be set in the bigger pots. Plenty of info on Youtube and other sources. They provide a steadier source of water and an air pruning of the roots if done correctly. That means a lot less root pruning in the pots in the future.
Good luck in your endeavor!
Thank you 💚

Good luck with your project as well. Be sure to notify me of any new news you find from doing the project yourself.
My neighbor has a sun room which I'm planning to make the home for my tree (if it makes it :lol:) during winter, and when it is full sized.
I learned a bit about the lemons; they are a bit of a gamble with genetics. You don't know what to expect.

During the summer, (@Wolfie2) do you think it is okay to let the plant grow outside, then move it in the sunroom for winter?

Back
Top Bottom