I'm having a problem Integrating flocks

fifenashia

Songster
May 15, 2011
Eastern Kentucky
I inherited a baby pekin duckling, long story. Anywho, she has been hand raised nit he house with us and her stuffed squirrel and things are great. She is getting huge and has already developed feather on her breast which is a solid sign to move her outside with my other hens and duck.

I put her out with my 4 hens and my female mallard for a bit over the past few days and obviously she is terrified of all of them. Then my mallard went missing yesterday, another long story but suffice to say after a traumatic accident she has not had the inclination to fly since the first summer we got her as a duckling so I have no clue what got into her or where she went or if she is coming back (trying not to cry as I type that).

So while we did a yard sweep looking for the MIA duck I put baby Pekin in the coop with all the hens. They went all prison yard on her, knocked her down, stomped on her and pecked her!!! I rescued her and she was obviously distressed but overall okay. She is still "peeping" as well as starting to quack a little so I dont know if it was the baby noises she made that made them attack or just pecking order stuff. But it seemed it would have been lethal had I let it continue.

I had been hoping her and my mallard would be allies against the wicked hens of the East, but now that may be impossible. Any suggestions on how to integrate her into the flock safely?? Or am I doomed and should go get another duckling or two and just build a duck house and segregate them all?

*I integrated a hen last year and 2 the year before and it was all traumatic, but we eventually put them all together at night and when they woke up they were fine. I'm terrified to do this with a lone duck.

HELP!!

I inherited a baby pekin duckling, long story. Anywho, she has been hand raised nit he house with us and her stuffed squirrel and things are great. She is getting huge and has already developed feather on her breast which is a solid sign to move her outside with my other hens and duck.

I put her out with my 4 hens and my female mallard for a bit over the past few days and obviously she is terrified of all of them. Then my mallard went missing yesterday, another long story but suffice to say after a traumatic accident she has not had the inclination to fly since the first summer we got her as a duckling so I have no clue what got into her or where she went or if she is coming back (trying not to cry as I type that).

So while we did a yard sweep looking for the MIA duck I put baby Pekin in the coop with all the hens. They went all prison yard on her, knocked her down, stomped on her and pecked her!!! I rescued her and she was obviously distressed but overall okay. She is still "peeping" as well as starting to quack a little so I dont know if it was the baby noises she made that made them attack or just pecking order stuff. But it seemed it would have been lethal had I let it continue.

I had been hoping her and my mallard would be allies against the wicked hens of the East, but now that may be impossible. Any suggestions on how to integrate her into the flock safely?? Or am I doomed and should go get another duckling or two and just build a duck house and segregate them all?

*I integrated a hen last year and 2 the year before and it was all traumatic, but we eventually put them all together at night and when they woke up they were fine. I'm terrified to do this with a lone duck.

HELP!!
Can you create her a pen side by side to the others?
Or a separate area within the existing pen?
This way she is separate and safe, but the others can start to get used to her.

Thanks for the rapid response!!!

I like your ideal a lot actually! I will talk to hubs tonight and see if we can come up with something. I eventually would like to fence in the whole corner of that yard and give it to the birds but for now they freerange during the day and go to the coop at night. I was thinking of putting her in a dog crate in the coop during the day so she was safe but also exposed to them too.

I'm such a worried mama duck!

Thanks for the rapid response!!!

I like your ideal a lot actually! I will talk to hubs tonight and see if we can come up with something. I eventually would like to fence in the whole corner of that yard and give it to the birds but for now they freerange during the day and go to the coop at night. I was thinking of putting her in a dog crate in the coop during the day so she was safe but also exposed to them too.

I'm such a worried mama duck!
I feel ya!
I introduced a newbie to the flock a few weeks ago.
He was malnurioushed and so much smaller than the others even though he was the same age. (see the Hole in Chest thread)

Ugh, so traumatic! You are a brave and kind soul for sure!

I hate flock integrating and I swore after the last brood that I was going to close the flock and not take any more newbies. But then this orphan popped up and my soft heart brought her home. I did integrate a Khaki Campbell last year successfully but it was only after I connected him with my mallard and then they got along great and seemed to create an alliance that kept the hens from being too malicious. Now without my duckie home I am unsure of how best to proceed and am seriously tempted to just get more ducklings for her to be with and build a seperate coop for the ducks.

Sheesh this is stressful!

Ugh, so traumatic! You are a brave and kind soul for sure!

I hate flock integrating and I swore after the last brood that I was going to close the flock and not take any more newbies. But then this orphan popped up and my soft heart brought her home. I did integrate a Khaki Campbell last year successfully but it was only after I connected him with my mallard and then they got along great and seemed to create an alliance that kept the hens from being too malicious. Now without my duckie home I am unsure of how best to proceed and am seriously tempted to just get more ducklings for her to be with and build a seperate coop for the ducks.

Sheesh this is stressful!
Good luck!
Let us know how it goes!

I would get her some friends! You know the saying, "A threefold chord is not easily broken." This is true with ducks! They will stick together.
Plus, it will be some company for her!

I agree Jessiduck! A few new flockmates are in order!!! Now to convince hubs of that (he says she will get along with the hens eventually and they will be her flock)

I agree Jessiduck! A few new flockmates are in order!!! Now to convince hubs of that (he says she will get along with the hens eventually and they will be her flock)
Tell him ducks need their own kind for company...duck math ya know...lol

Not sure where you are but I have 2 little black east indies for sale. Plus you can always check your local craigslist.

Back
Top Bottom