i'm having amnesia in the panic of them being here - do i let them free feed?

bj taylor

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
North Central Texas
post office called this morn. i was scared to death it would be silence from the box. they were NOISY. i was shocked how small the box was - how on earth did they stay warm enough to get here?
dipped everyone's beak in the (warm) water & some i dipped more than once. they were all screaming their heads off & promptly moved under the light. after they got warmed up they started moving about. mean little brats - pulling on each other's feet. i had to break up a couple of fights. then they started yelling again. sprinkled feed over the floor - quiet. they were hungry. put the feed tray in. they are pigs.
should i let them free feed? it's like i can't remember details.
boy, they're a handful. i was worried some weren't finding the water. put a marble in it - problem solved. hah!
i wonder what they think about that face staring @ them. they look like they need entertainment to keep them out of trouble with each other.

sorry chemguy, i didn't see your post. thanks for the input. i didn't want them to overgorge or some such thing. now i'm wondering how do i simulate night for them, or do i. i need the light to keep them warm.

watch out, their pull out each other toe nails
roll.png
, turkeys do it and im pretty sure chicks do too

Free feed. They ARE little piggies but they need free access to nutrition to grow. If they rush the feeder because they're hungry and have been without, they can block their brooder mates from feeding.

Because you're using a heat lamp, and it needs to be on 24/7 you really can't simulate night time darkness. However, a red infrared heat lamp can allow them to sleep at night a bit more easily. Less feather picking of each other, too.

Good luck with your new chickie babes!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom