Im here to figure out what's wrong with my chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Laura the chicken mom, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Laura the chicken mom

Laura the chicken mom In the Brooder

Oct 14, 2018
    I don't care to join another social media group. I don't have the time for it. I just wanted some info for my chicken's nasty butt problem.

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Don't lie. Don't cheat your way through life.

Welcome to BYC.
    Can you post some photos of your chicken's butt so we can help you figure out how to help your chicken?

3. NoFlyBackFarm

NoFlyBackFarm Crowing

Aug 6, 2018
    Pilesgrove, New Jersey
    Welcome and post a pic please!

townchicks, rjohns39 and N F C like this.
  4. Stargazer04

Stargazer04 In the Brooder

Oct 14, 2018
    If your talking about a chick it could be pasty butt, clean the poop away as soon a you can (wet or dry paper towel) then put gel vaseline on and keep doing this if it keeps happening, but if your talking about a adult well sometimes they will get dirty and you cant do much about it,if it an outdoor the rain might help but i wouldnt give them a bath because it might mess up their feathers, if all else fail's just try to whip the chicken's feces off of the chicken and keep her/her healthy and happy.

rjohns39 likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. You can learn a lot of info that can help you take care of your chickens here. It is also a place to share your knowledge with others. You might be dealing with a fungal infection called vent gleet, which can cause runny smelly poops, red irritated skin, and it can cause white or yellowish patches. Here is some info about vent gleet:
    https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt.64647/

6. rjohns39

rjohns39 Enabler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

townchicks and N F C like this.
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Eggcessive, townchicks and rjohns39 like this.
  8. Laura the chicken mom

Oct 14, 2018
    Thank you for responding. I'm super overwhelmed by this. Her bottom is red and swollen like a water balloon. She has labored breathing, feathers all puffed up, eyes semi open. I bathed her bottom yesterday and clipped the feathers below her vent. The vent looks completely normal. I feel so helpless I could just cry. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

KikisGirls likes this.
  9. Laura the chicken mom

Oct 14, 2018
    The white stuff on her butt is just bedding. She's sort of laying on her left side and has not moved much today. She ate and drank water yesterday, but not today.

rjohns39 and KikisGirls like this.
  10. christwodog

christwodog Songster

Jan 16, 2017
    Is it possible she has been bitten by something? Spider, centipede, snake?
    Try to keep her hydrated at least, even if you have to use an eyedropper. Chickens are really hard to diagnose. You may have to separate her if the others start picking on her.
    Has she laid an egg recently? I have not heard of egg binding causing that appearance, but anything is possible. I would check for a stuck egg.
    How old is she?

rjohns39 and Cyprus like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: