Im here to figure out what's wrong with my chicken

I do not feed granite grit! I didn't know this! Shoot! I will certainly see to that. They have lots of room to run, about 40x25 foot area for 6 hens. They're under lots of trees (some stone fruit, and two huge pine trees, manzanita as well. They're able to forage a lot. I do give occasional vegetation, but not lots as I was told to stick more to the layer feeds. I know people like to give lots of extras but I've read that can lead to issues and people have lost their entire flock to overfeeding of too many things. Is this correct?

I doubt people have lost their whole flock to a dietary imbalance as some birds have greater tolerance than others. Heavier breeds are more likely to suffer Fatty Liver Haemorrhagic Syndrome (to give it it's proper name) than other more flighty birds that burn the calories off more easily. Some birds will dominate the feeder and pick out their favourite bits (usually the high carbs which lead to Fatty Liver.... just like some of us have difficulty resisting "naughty" carbohydrates when given the choice... this is me and I have a belly to show for it :oops: ) Most people think that fat causes fatty liver but actually it is often too many carbohydrates and scratch can be the culprit if not significantly rationed.

So sorry for your loss, but glad that you were able to connect with people here for information. The problems your hen had are very common in many flocks with good layers. When the lower abdomen becomes enlarged from fluid or masses of egg material from internal laying, the droppings tend to catch on the skin and feathers around the vent, making things messy. It is good that you found out what the problem may have been.

I doubt people have lost their whole flock to a dietary imbalance as some birds have greater tolerance than others. Heavier breeds are more likely to suffer Fatty Liver Haemorrhagic Syndrome (to give it it's proper name) than other more flighty birds that burn the calories off more easily. Some birds will dominate the feeder and pick out their favourite bits (usually the high carbs which lead to Fatty Liver.... just like some of us have difficulty resisting "naughty" carbohydrates when given the choice... this is me and I have a belly to show for it :oops: ) Most people think that fat causes fatty liver but actually it is often too many carbohydrates and scratch can be the culprit if not significantly rationed.

There was a lot of talk of people giving their chickens "lots of plain yogurt" with their meals to ensure continual laying, which didn't seem wise to me. If they need a natural break I think they've earned it. Then I read that people that abruptly changed their flock's diet - thinking they were giving them a healthy boost - actually lost most of their flock, which really scared me away from too many additives. I am curious if there's any certain type of grit I should get or if all grit is the same. Since I've had chickens a little over 5 years I'm surprised we haven't had more issues. My other birds passed of what I thought was old age (between 5- 9 years according to Grandma). This girl was the first of my flock though.

How much scratch do you feed and do you mix it into the feed or throw it out for them to forage? Do they also have access to granite grit. Crushed oyster shells are just to provide calcium and dissolve in the acidic conditions of the gut. Birds need small hard stones/grit to grind up their food, particularly if you feed them scratch or any vegetation etc. Too much scratch can cause Fatty Liver syndrome which can lead to the liver breaking down and leaching sera into the abdominal cavity, so it may be that and not a reproductive problem.

Edited to add....
Just read your last thread after posting the above and see that she has sadly passed. I'm so sorry :hugs The questions about feed are still relevant however because some birds are more disposed to Fatty Liver than others and if you are feeding too much scratch another bird could be affected. Also if you mix other things into their regular layer feed, it can cause them to bill food out in order to get their favourite bits and cause waste and possibly attract rodents to clean up the spillage and/or cause a dietary imbalance, so always worth reassessing your feeding regime when you have a death.
If you are up for it, you could always open her up and see what the problem was. That way you may gain knowledge that could help your remaining flock. I appreciate it is not something everyone can get their head around but it is really interesting once you overcome the emotions. If you decide to do that, take photos so that we can help you interpret what you find.

Again very sorry for your loss and hope this post doesn't come across as insensitive or critical in any way.

I use granite grit which is sold in most feed stores for 50 pounds for arount $10, and sometimes cheaper. They also now sell smaller bags, but it is not as good a buy. It lasts forever if you keep it in a dry container. I always make sure so e is out for free taking if they need it. Many people believe their chickens have enough small rocks in their environment to help with digestion. Others mistakenly think that crushed oyster shell is grit, not just a calcium supplement. I make sure mine have both available, and very seldom have to buy new.

I'm not up for the opening up of my girl being a bit squeamish about this. Wish I wasn't. I am able to handle the tapping of an ascites belly though. Just watched segments on sour crop! Learning a ton and glad because I can share with friends. I asked the lady I buy feed from about some issue, who was really insensitive as she just lets the die. I couldn't believe that. Buying feed from another store now. How much is too much scratch? I will give them chopped up greens when making salads. No tomato, potatoes, citrus, avocado. They get warm cooked oatmeal in the winter, some cooked rice. My real concern is the grit. I saw a video about giving them whole corn. Is that good?

Your birds are most likely picking up their grit from the ground out in their run. I have a container of grit in the coop, but they only seem to use it in the winter, when the ground is frozen.
I use granite grit which is sold in most feed stores for 50 pounds for arount $10, and sometimes cheaper. They also now sell smaller bags, but it is not as good a buy. It lasts forever if you keep it in a dry container. I always make sure so e is out for free taking if they need it. Many people believe their chickens have enough small rocks in their environment to help with digestion. Others mistakenly think that crushed oyster shell is grit, not just a calcium supplement. I make sure mine have both available, and very seldom have to buy new.

Back
Top Bottom