I'm Hooked!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ears73, Oct 25, 2008.

1. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Wow, just have to share - we added three new hens to our flock today!!!

Started in May by wanting 6 hens. Ordered 10, switched 3 for the right chicks with other families that ordered jointly with us (impossible to separate those fuzzy butts real well) and ended up with 11, one died because our dog got it [​IMG] , adopted five hens who needed a new home, rehomed an agressive and loud roo, added two polish and a super sweet partridge cochin came along as well. Whew!!

Is everyone's experience like this???
    I can't wait to get up early and play with the new tiny polish chickies and see how the cochin likes her new home. I am totally hooked!

2. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Everyone on this forum says chickens are like potato chips - you can't have just one...I too find them wonderfully exciting...we ordered 6 chicks (all sexed to be female) 4 out of the 6 were roos. We found home for 2 of the roos and just a couple weeks ago we bought 2 BR's and 2 australorp pullets. I love them.... [​IMG] and i want more..lol and we have no eggs yet (which was the reason we started this) but I don't care.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Welcome to the club. I thought I was done with chickens until my grand daughter wanted TWO CHICKENS. We now have five hundred plus the chicks. I can't count them.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I guess we have been rather reserved. We have 13 hens and 1 roo. However.... we are only supposed to have 5 and 1 roo. HAHAHAHA! [​IMG]

5. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I've still only got the 27 chickens I ordered this year, plus the original 2 of 6 (gave one away, 2 died, ate one.) I did go a little nuts with the guineas although 4 maybe be going to new homes Monday and one is for dinner today.

However, I am debating getting dark cornish and/or chanteclers next year, too. So maybe I'm just a better procrastinator? [​IMG]

6. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Quote:When I first read your post, I found myself flashing on grade school math class and story problems! [​IMG] I still can't come up with an accurate number...

But I totally get it, our original plan for how many chickens has been greatly expanded. [​IMG]

7. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Ditto here. We 'acquired' our first two hens last summer from a neighbor who thought we needed chickens. DH built a coop big enough for 12 in anticipation of getting more. One got eaten by a stray dog, so Gertie was all alone. We got Isabel from a farmer down the road to give Gertie a buddy. This spring we got 25 day olds. Sold 16 at 4 weeks. One disappeared several months ago, so that left us with the 10 that we have now. Now I've become addicted to BYC, and there are a whole bunch more chickens that I want to get. DH is not happy, because it means he either has to build another coop or expand the one he just built last year! I'm still working on him. [​IMG]

The funniest part of all this is that HE was the one who originally wanted chickens!

8. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Quote:That is so funny... and I, like a proper teacher, have the answer for you in my tag lines! 17! Uhh, so far I guess!

Girls are doing ok... those Polish ones just crack me up. I wonder how they will fit into the coop dynamics when they get bigger and are let out of their protective zone. Spent the whole very day out there watching all the goings-on...

9. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    its called Chicken TV here on BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by