I'm hoping new life will help get over loss

tracylo09

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Well after my bourbon red Clyde was killed and stolen by some low life thieving scum the day before New Years Eve, I had decided that I couldn't risk replacing him in case it happens again. In fact I was ready to throw in the towel completely as it upset me so much. However, my first incubator arrives tomorrow (my belated Christmas present). I think setting my first lot of eggs and watching new life grow will help me get over the loss. I'm still not ready to set some turkeys, or to bring Bonnie back with a new mate and probably never will be but it's a start and as everyone has said, I can't let them beat me and ruin all my plans and enjoyment of my birds.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I'm so sorry. Don't give up. Throw some eggs in the bator, all your problems will be solved :)
Thank you I intend to, my brand new Christmas present arrived today....now for some hatching eggs not much available in the UK at the minute
wink.png

Yes I had a look for some dutch bantams but the seller has quite a bit of negative feedback for infertile eggs. A kind lady not too far from me is going to give me some bourbon red eggs in Spring so I'm sure that will be fun
fl.gif
. I have also advertised for a turkey hen to keep Bonnie company.

I have always wanted turkeys but when i hatched some eggs the two chicks died. My brother ran a turkey over setting on eggs, him knoqing I had an incubator felt bad so he gave them to me there were 4 1 was chipped and never developed 1 was a quitter than 2 hatched but died so I was unhappy plus I dont need anymore kinds of birds. but have fun

I have always wanted turkeys but when i hatched some eggs the two chicks died. My brother ran a turkey over setting on eggs, him knoqing I had an incubator felt bad so he gave them to me there were 4 1 was chipped and never developed 1 was a quitter than 2 hatched but died so I was unhappy plus I dont need anymore kinds of birds. but have fun
Ohh that doesn't sound very promising. I knew they were suicidal and were hard work to get past 6 weeks. Will give it a try and see how I go
wink.png

I'm sorry you've been going through all this. I haven't found turkeys to be particularily difficult or suicidal, just requiring a different approach and a bit more high maintenance than chickens.

A few things I've found:

Turkey incubation is a bit more tricky than chickens. I have noticed that they don't do well with really high humidity during lockdown. Usually I try to keep it down to 45 to 50 degrees instead of all the way up to 60 or 70 that chickens like.

Turkey poults are kind of dumb. Your best bet for their health is to put a chicken baby in there with them after they hatch. Chicks can catch on to food and water quickly, and your poults will see them and go 'oh gee, that looks like a good idea!'. Easy and no fuss. I've actually ended up with a couple of chickens who absolutely think they're turkeys because they were raised with them, it's pretty funny.

Turkeys LOVE to roost up high and out of the coop at night. Don't let them. Predators love that turkeys love to do this. I've had go out in the evenings and haul turkeys into coops if they are free-ranging on occasion. It's kind of annoying but worth it. It's much easier if you just keep them in an enclosure where the coop is their best night option.

Come spring, hunt down turkey nests (if they're not in enclosures), and mark them with a stick with a flag on it nearby. That way nobody accidentally steps on them or crushes them. Plus you can easily pirate the nests for eggs to incubate.

Hope that helps a bit!

Back
Top Bottom